Computer suggestions?

my onboard video cant handle two screens

then spend 20-30 to get a dual output video card.....as mentioned.....you dont need anything fancy.....processing is all done by the processor and store in the RAM for efficency

In my opinion. The processor, RAM and video card are the three most important components to pay attention to. A wimpy video card can be a speed bottleneck. How it displays colors is also important if your main goal is to use the PC for graphics. You don't need to go way overboard, but you should spend at least $100, even if you don't plan on playing games on your PC.

I think someone mentioned it, but monitor calibration is very important. Look at the Colorvision Spyder or the Pantone Huey.

I think someone mentioned it, but monitor calibration is very important. Look at the Colorvision Spyder or the Pantone Huey.

I was thinking about that when I was talking about a dual DVI video card. I thought I would be all set with my Colorvision Spyder when I started running dual monitors. I found out that the Spyder will not calibrate each monitor individually when using a dual output video card. You actually have to run dual CARDS to calibrate each monitor. It makes sense when you think about it, but was disappointing to find out.

You only need a video card if the on-board video won't produce the resolution you REALLY need. They're totally meant for gaming and refresh rates. Tell me - does your computer monitor flicker now? Unless you want dual-head cards, on-board video really won't make a difference for photo editing as speed relates to frame rates, not pushing a single screen image to the CRT.

In my opinion. The processor, RAM and video card are the three most important components to pay attention to. A wimpy video card can be a speed bottleneck. How it displays colors is also important if your main goal is to use the PC for graphics. You don't need to go way overboard, but you should spend at least $100, even if you don't plan on playing games on your PC.

then spend 20-30 to get a dual output video card.....as mentioned.....you dont need anything fancy.....processing is all done by the processor and store in the RAM for efficency
no need..i do play games...and have two 7950 nvidia cards..i was just letting him know if he wants more then one monitor...hell need a vcard

I was thinking about that when I was talking about a dual DVI video card. I thought I would be all set with my Colorvision Spyder when I started running dual monitors. I found out that the Spyder will not calibrate each monitor individually when using a dual output video card. You actually have to run dual CARDS to calibrate each monitor. It makes sense when you think about it, but was disappointing to find out.
Which software package do you have? I know that the cheapest one, Express, is only meant for one monitor...but the most expensive one will let you calibrate two monitors...I don't know if that includes two monitors on one card or not.

Here is a question, can you set up two monitors...one using the on-board video port and one using a video card? Or would I need to get a duel port video card?

What does how the monitor is connected to the computer have to do with calibrating it? I use a monaco optix xr, and I adjust the monitor via the controls on the front, to bring it within a calibrated range according to what the sensor is reading. It has nothing to do with the video card.

You only need a video card if the on-board video won't produce the resolution you REALLY need. They're totally meant for gaming and refresh rates. Tell me - does your computer monitor flicker now? Unless you want dual-head cards, on-board video really won't make a difference for photo editing as speed relates to frame rates, not pushing a single screen image to the CRT.

Each has their own opinion. I do understand about gaming and frame rates, but color and clarity are also important when dealing with graphics. I've seen plenty of crappy onboard video. Editing photos will most likely not be the ONLY thing the PC will be used for.

What does how the monitor is connected to the computer have to do with calibrating it? I use a monaco optix xr, and I adjust the monitor via the controls on the front, to bring it within a calibrated range according to what the sensor is reading. It has nothing to do with the video card.
The way my Spyder & Colorvision software works...it's completely automatic. It takes the readings and creates a custom monitor profile...which is then loaded and used by all programs.

With yours, do you have to adjust the controls and visually match something? That's the way Adobe Gamma works...and I could never get it be correct.

Which software package do you have? I know that the cheapest one, Express, is only meant for one monitor...but the most expensive one will let you calibrate two monitors...I don't know if that includes two monitors on one card or not.

Here is a question, can you set up two monitors...one using the on-board video port and one using a video card? Or would I need to get a duel port video card?

I am using the Spyder2Pro, and it clearly states that you can't calibrate two monitors individually with the same video card. You must have two separate video cards. However, you bring up a good point. Using on-board video and a video card should work. I just don't want to use on-board.

Digital Matt,

We were talking about dual monitors and using calibration hardware to calibrate them. The calibration software created a profile but the profile is specific to one video card. So running two monitors out of one card does not allow a calibration profile for each monitor.

I am using the Spyder2Pro, and it clearly states that you can't calibrate two monitors individually with the same video card. You must have two separate video cards. However, you bring up a good point. Using on-board video and a video card should work. I just don't want to use on-board.

Digital Matt,

We were talking about dual monitors and using calibration hardware to calibrate them. The calibration software created a profile but the profile is specific to one video card. So running two monitors out of one card does not allow a calibration profile for each monitor.

The profile that is created is specific to the monitor. You shouldn't be making adjustments to your brightness and contrast via the video card, but rather the monitor. I use a hardware calibration system too. The sensor is hung in front of the monitor, and the software reads the monitor's colors and brightness range, and you adjust the monitor to make it fit within a set of specific standards. The profile that is generated is for that monitor. If you want to do a second monitor, you hang the sensor over the second monitor, and do the same thing, adjusting the settings on the second monitor to fall within the ranges as well.

Through your video card driver, you tell it which display should use which profile.

The profile that is created is specific to the monitor. You shouldn't be making adjustments to your brightness and contrast via the video card, but rather the monitor. I use a hardware calibration system too. The sensor is hung in front of the monitor, and the software reads the monitor's colors and brightness range, and you adjust the monitor to make it fit within a set of specific standards. The profile that is generated is for that monitor. If you want to do a second monitor, you hang the sensor over the second monitor, and do the same thing, adjusting the settings on the second monitor to fall within the ranges as well.

Through your video card driver, you tell it which display should use which profile.

Here is what Colorvision says:

Can I use dual monitors on Windows with the new Spyder2PRO?
On Windows, It is necessary to use a separate video card for each monitor. Multi-head video cards (one card that drives multiple monitors) will not work because Windows will not allow you to assign a different profile to each monitor.

I have tried, and I can only assign one profile to both monitors. So one monitor is perfectly calibrated and the other is "close".

Most reactions

Back