What's new

Computer

ksnyder

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 26, 2011
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
Location
Illinois
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just getting started with a photography business but was interested in tips on Mac computers. I am looking for something that I will be able to grow into but not sure how much space, speed, etc. I should be looking for. I will be running photoshop CS5 and will use the computer primarily for photography.
 
I have little knowledge on what you'd need/want in terms of speed & performance etc. But you likely want plenty of storage memory. And to that point, you will want to figure out a redundancy plan so that you always have your photos and data backed up. This is important for everyone, but especially if you are running a business.

When it comes to digital editing, you should give a thought to the monitor and it's calibration. For proper editing (and printing etc), your monitor needs to be calibrated...and that will require a calibration device. Cheaper monitors, while good for gaming & general computing, aren't ideal for calibration, so you may want to figure out a good solution before you start spending money.

If you do (or plan on) doing a lot of image editing, then you may want to consider a pen & tablet. Wacom has a great range of products.
 
At least 4 gb of RAM, 320 gb for your HDD and 2 or more external HDDs of 500 (or more) gb each.

For photos. If you're doing video then rob a bank and get all there is. ;)
 
External storage and redundancy with a back up plan implemented is the best possible way to securely store your data. I have a HP MediaSmart Server running Window Home Server that's been on 24-7 for about 4 years. I had to replace the OS drive, but didn't lose any data. I also have off site backups if they're needed. It's probably one of the best photography related purchases I've made.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom