ArizonaSun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Are great.

So anyways,

I was reading that closed thread about Mac vs. Windows
I think its interesting that ever since Mac's conception its progressed this image over the decades that it's "them against the world". Quoted from an original Macintosh commercial.

my peeve isn't whether Mac is better than Windows. Because the Mac OS is better and has its roots in Unix. Just like Linux is better than Windows and is also a Unix based OS.

My peeve is that Mac vs PC thing. All "PC" stands for is personal computer. How can Mac be better than a personal computer when that s all they make?

Hardware wise Macs are nothing special, They don't use thier IBM G4 processors anymore they use Intel and Nvidia just like every other computer. Except they spit and polish the hardware and charge $500 more for it. ;)

In the end its all good though, but I've yet to build myself a "Mac" ;) i've built "PCs" though.

The term "PC" has always been associated with the Microsoft operating system since the days of MS DOS.

The IBM Personal Computer (PC) was the first commercially successful computer ... and it happen to have Microsoft DOS as it's operating system.

So really it's the same as Kleenex™

So which is better Mac or PC:greenpbl::greenpbl::greenpbl:

3.gif

Tick tick tick tick

So which is better Mac or PC:greenpbl::greenpbl::greenpbl:

3.gif

Tick tick tick tick
I like PC for all it hardware options, I like building my own desktops. I don't think I would buy an apple notebook ever, the price difference just isn't worth it to me.

Actually I think Mac and "PC" equal themselves out. Mac as the OS stability & user friendly, and PC has the hardware selection and software compatibility.

hmmmm...i just thought about it. Should I dual boot XP and Mac?

why would you even think about booting Vista? lol. And I already suffered through my linux years trying to get simple apps up and running lol. How do they expect people to remember all those codes you have to type into the terminal lol.

Because the Mac OS is better and has its roots in Unix. Just like Linux is better than Windows and is also a Unix based OS.

You know, with over 26 years in the computer industry I have run, built, repaired and maintained OSs including MSDOS, PCDOS, Windows, OS/2, BeOS, AmigaOS, Linux, AIX, Unix, MacOS, and FreeBSD and I find statements like the one above amusing and very telling.

Anyone who flatly states "x is better than y" in the computer industry is like someone in photography saying Ilford is better than Fuji, or Canon is better than Nikon, or Tenba is better than Tamrac. In some cases, the statement is true, in other cases, it is laughable. Experience almost always breeds that mess out of people.

Allan

why would you even think about booting Vista? lol.

Since you are using "lol" I will make the assumption you are fairly young and do not remember the way the OS market works.....

Windows 3.1 comes out, the savvy people laugh, why would anyone in their right mind cut their computer's speed in half for a pretty interface, HA!

Windows 95 comes out, yeah, we used to think Windows 3.1 stunk, but now we see the light, 95 stinks, we will stick with 3.1!

Windows 98 comes out, what we meant to say was that 95 needed more drivers, yeah that is it, 95 rocks, 98 stinks!

Windows 2000 comes out, oh wait, 2000 is based on NT code, why would any gamer use a workstation OS, not me! I will stick with 98!

Windows XP comes out, the pretty flashy interface for XP is too slow! No real computer user in their right mind would trade the raw speed of 2000 for the flash of XP!

Windows Vista comes out, there are no drivers for vista and the aero interface is too slow, I will stick with XP!

etc

etc

History always repeats.....

Allan

PS. Writing this from my desk at home surrounded by three vista machines, instead of from my computer at the office (also vista), while my Powerbook sits on the living room coffee table where I use it to check the TV guide :)

Since you are using "lol" I will make the assumption you are fairly young and do not remember the way the OS market works.....

Windows 3.1 comes out, the savvy people laugh, why would anyone in their right mind cut their computer's speed in half for a pretty interface, HA!

Windows 95 comes out, yeah, we used to think Windows 3.1 stunk, but now we see the light, 95 stinks, we will stick with 3.1!

Windows 98 comes out, what we meant to say was that 95 needed more drivers, yeah that is it, 95 rocks, 98 stinks!

Windows 2000 comes out, oh wait, 2000 is based on NT code, why would any gamer use a workstation OS, not me! I will stick with 98!

Windows XP comes out, the pretty flashy interface for XP is too slow! No real computer user in their right mind would trade the raw speed of 2000 for the flash of XP!

Windows Vista comes out, there are no drivers for vista and the aero interface is too slow, I will stick with XP!

etc

etc

History always repeats.....

Allan

PS. Writing this from my desk at home surrounded by three vista machines, instead of from my computer at the office (also vista), while my Powerbook sits on the living room coffee table where I use it to check the TV guide :)
Haha just realized that's true lol. I probably hae a hard drive with either 98 or 200 laying around somewhere. O and why did microsoft stop numbering their os's by year lol. I remember those theys when I argued XP sucks lol. It's all abount program and drier support.

Why stop there? I think everyone should Quad-boot Vista/OSX/Redhat/Solaris. Nobody should be forced to deal with the bugs in just one OS.
I just run them all in a Window on my Mac.

In the end its all good though, but I've yet to build myself a "Mac" ;) i've built "PCs" though.
You've already built yourself a machine capable of running OSX, just Google "hackintosh". :)

Most reactions

Back