Concert photos

For me they are too tight, but I can certainly identify with shooting in tight spaces and cramped clubs. Lighting v poor and that red dominant gell certainly kills a lot of shot, I found this with my own work!
Would have liked to see wider shots and if the conditions were cramped maybe a frame showing the context of band & audience>

Its very easy to say what would be good but without being there, I have no idea of what was possible.

I understand what you're saying and especially what you say at the end. It is very easy for people to assume that something else could have been shot without knowing what the venue looks like and what really was possible. I can look at a photo of a sunset and say "if you moved 2 feet to the left, it would have been a great shot" Not knowing the layout, 2 feet to the left was a 100 foot drop off the cliff. It is easy to assume when looking at photos, and easy to compare one set of photos to another set that were shot in a completely different venue or situation. I try not to assume that things can be changed as far as physical space and physical limitations are involved.

Ah.. you are right :) for some reason I thought you had...
Just trying to figure out what I need for my event this week...

I took only the gear that I wanted to use. I was quite specific in what I wanted to shoot, and how I mentally pictured things based on a site visit from the night before.

I try not to assume that things can be changed as far as physical space and physical limitations are involved.

And one shouldn't assume that.

But that looks like a smallish club. 300mm is just too long for a small venue. If you happen to be right at the stage, it can be too long in an arena, too...

I've been using an 85mm f/1.4 for shows and it's just amazing. 300mm just isn't necessary for shows unless you're shooting an outdoor festival and can't get near the stage.

Click my flickr link for examples, I won't clutter your thread with work that isn't yours.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back