concerts?!

pregnantcowlady

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
okay guys, LOW LIGHT concert photography&dark occasions, etc.

sigma 30mm f/1.4 or 70-200mm f/2.8?
could use the zoom&speed since my 200 now is f/4.
or is it a better investment to go with a prime?
i get VERY close to the stage, but i havent seen if a 50 could do this.

already have the fifty.
any suggestions? pictures?

thanks. :)

I just want to add that it matters what camera you have when considering lens sizes:

-If you have a camera with an APS-C type image sensor, then you have to figure in the multiplier factor - I think a 50 mm lens will really be like an 85 mm on a camera with an APS-C type sensor. I just learned this myself from a photographer friend which is why I purchased the 50 mm f/1.4 lens (which should be here tomorrow!!!:lmao:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS-C

I just want to add that it matters what camera you have when considering lens sizes:

-If you have a camera with an APS-C type image sensor, then you have to figure in the multiplier factor - I think a 50 mm lens will really be like an 85 mm on a camera with an APS-C type sensor. I just learned this myself from a photographer friend which is why I purchased the 50 mm f/1.4 lens (which should be here tomorrow!!!:lmao:)

A 50 mm lens with a DX sensor will give you the same FoV as a 75 mm lens on a 35 mm camera.

She may or may not have a Nikon, but either way I'm sure it's real close, the DX sizes are only slightly different than the APS-C format.

i have a canon. and its a crop body.
:)
and i've heard that same thing.
which is why im probably going with the 30.
the 50 just doesent cut it.

ive also heard the 30 is the closest thing to a "real view" on a crop body, true/false?

She may or may not have a Nikon, but either way I'm sure it's real close, the DX sizes are only slightly different than the APS-C format.

The Canon sensors are just a tad smaller but not enough to make any real difference. The 1.5 multiplier is still valid.

I'm sure he realizes this, but just to clarify.
Just a word of warning: crop factor does not mean that a 50mm lens gets you in as close as the 85mm lens. It means that at 50mm, you lose as much of the outside of the shot as you would with an 85mm lens mounted on a full size sensor.

You don't need 200mm if you are getting really close, but I like to have multipurpose tools (i.e. zoom lenses). Have you considered the Sigma 28-70 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, or 24-60 f/2.8?

In response to the real view question. I think 50mm on a full frame is real view. That's somewhere around 30mm depending on the sensor.

do you think they would work in really low light?
i have mixed opinions on 2.8, but i've never had any.

i was thinking about the tamron 17-50 f/2.8

about the same price as the 30mm, but closer.

anyone have experience with 2.8 in low light?

How do you have an opinion if you've never used any? :)

I shoot 2.8 in low light just fine. But I don't know if my low light is your low light. The nice thing about shooting Canon is that you don't have to be afraid to boost that ISO way up.

Why don't you see if you can borrow a 2.8 lens from somebody or just go down to a camera store and ask if you can take the lens into the stockroom or something with really dim light to check it out?

okay guys, LOW LIGHT concert photography&dark occasions, etc.

sigma 30mm f/1.4 or 70-200mm f/2.8?
could use the zoom&speed since my 200 now is f/4.
or is it a better investment to go with a prime?
i get VERY close to the stage, but i havent seen if a 50 could do this.

already have the fifty.
any suggestions? pictures?

thanks. :)
i have shot concerts in a huge range of lighting conditions. as far as indoor venues go...i've shot concerts where I could use ISO200 and a 50mm lens at f/3.5, 1/125. other venues I can hardly get ANYTHING at ISO1600, 50mm f/1.8, 1/80. sometimes you have to time your shots with a strobe light or other flashing light onstage

if i'm really close to the stage and the stage isn't very big (meaning the band is close to the front of the stage), then the 50mm is often not wide enough and I might end up cutting off the headstock of a guitar or missing a shot.

Methinks the 30mm f/1.4 will be your goto lens for the concert stuff. you'll be able to shoot at ISO800 at the least, probably ISO400 if the band doesn't move around too quickly, so you'll have no problem cropping if you need to. also, try to use at least 1/80 shutter speed with the 30mm lens....1/100 would be even better.

hehe. i've hear bad things about slowness of 2.8

BUT i think i may get one instead of the 30for right now.
someone just offered a good price for a SHARP copy.

thanks for the help guys!
and good idea brent (DUH). i may try to see what its like before i buy it. im dumb for not thinking of that. haha

I have the Sigma 30mm F/1.4 and am very happy with it's sharpness.

As for the concert... depends on where you will be sitting and if you can get access to the stage any closer.

Obviously the F/1.4 will give faster shutter times, but if you are 75 feet from the stage, you are going to be doing a LOT of cropping!

F2.8 is plenty fast but I would not limit myself to 1 lens at a concert. I have shot plenty of concerts with slower than 2.8. I think you should be more than fine shooting iso 400 with a 2.8 lens

Glad I could help...kinda :)
Funny story...I just ordered a 50mm f/1.8, but I want it for depth of field, not the low light performance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back