Conferences...Memberships

chmille

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey,
So I was wondering about conferences and being a member of like WPPI, or your state photographers association. How do you go about becoming a member and or what other organizations are out there? Also, what about conferences and like different classes you can take. Curious about getting started with all of it! Thanks.

Photography organizations & associations are great. Of course, they have their good & bad points, but there are certainly a lot of benefits.

The website for each respective organization should tell you how to become a member. With some, it's just a matter of joining...often paying fees or dues. Some require you to apply for membership and probably submit some of your work for review.

As for conferences, classes etc....I recommend going to them if you can. These can really be hit and miss. Sometimes it's just a big sales pitch for their book or something, but that doesn't mean that it's not worth the time & money.

I love taking classes. Even when the target demographic is less experienced photographers, you can usually learn something new anyway.

Whether it's associations, classes or seminars etc. Some of the biggest benefits are the people that you can meet. The networking possibilities are pretty good and you never know where that can lead.

Yea, curious, what's some good/bad points. Also, is there like a community website that has a listing of upcoming classes?

Well, one of the best parts of a professional association is their group insurance plan. Many have said that the savings on their business insurance has more than paid for their membership dues.

There might also be other savings available to members. For example, NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals) gives members great deals on Adobe software and free shipping from B&H. I'm sure there are many other benefits as well.

One of the bad points that I've seen in a couple associations, is that they can feel somewhat snobbish. The 'old school' group are set in their ways and don't want to hear anything from up-and-comers. Some can be very exclusive with their membership, which is fine...but sometimes they act holier-than-thou,

But overall, I get the feeling that most Photography Associations are pretty good and the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Hey,
So I was wondering about conferences and being a member of like WPPI, or your state photographers association. How do you go about becoming a member and or what other organizations are out there? Also, what about conferences and like different classes you can take. Curious about getting started with all of it! Thanks.
If you visit each organizations web site, they will tell you what it takes to be a member, and what benefits they offer members.

List of organizations? Anyone have one?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back