Photos OK to edit
I'm sure im not alone here but ...

I have a 400D at the moment with :
24-70 f2.8L,
70-200 f2.8L IS
EF 70-300 f5.6 IS USM ,
EF 50mm f1.8 MKII ,
Tamron 17-50 f2.8 DII ..

I have been meaning to upgrade and was gonna get the 40D ..
then I decided to wait for the 50D and was gonna get that...
but now with the 5d been released and it looks like it will be at a good price
(€2,000) on competitive sites... and people who i know that own a 5D tell me of the much higher IQ of the 5D series then 30D , 40D etc...

Im not sure which one to go for....

Pros for 50D
Speed 6.3 fps .. I like this for sports/Wildlife..
Longer length (not FF) I like this for sports/wildlife
high ISO range ..

Cons 50D
Price is high for not much of an upgrade ..
high MP might make images noisier ..
IQ not as good as 5 series ..

Pros 5D (II)
Price is good for a new PRO model
Superb IQ
even higher ISO then 50d..
HD Video ..
wider at the 24 end for 24-70 lens..

Cons 5D II
Slow 3.9 fps .. won't be good for sports
Lose length on Telephoto lenses (not good for sports/wildlife)
My Tamron won't work on it .. and I quite like that lens ...

Maybe if the 50D review states that IQ is almost as good as 5D (II) ..(doubt that..)
that would be enough for me to be satisfied with it without regretting
buying it .. cos that would be the worst thing .. to have a regret ...

well, remember that you will not actually loose length on a telephoto lens, but rather resolution. The reason being that the optical length of the lens never changes. But the cropped area that you actually capture does. Hence the crop factor everyone is using to re-calculate the lenses back and forth.

A real life example would be if you stand with the 5d and the 50D with the same lens, and photograph the same image, and then crop the 5D image to match the 50D, you will still have the same crop (obviously ;) but 5D will have more resolution than the 50D still to play with. So the crop factor isn't really a factor in this imho.

The AF speed (faster on 50D), high iso quality (better on 5D), more leeway for cropping (on 5D), better dynamic range (might be equal, no tests show that much yet), faster fps (50D beats the 5D here), need for wide angle lenses (5D wins, since it wont crop the image of a wide angle lens)

Doesnt make it easier now does it :D

If it were me i would look hard at how much i need the AFspeed and the fps. If that is vital to get the shot, i'd go for the 50D. the quality of those files will be enough for pretty much everything you will need it for. And also remember that the 5D will be a lot more picky about the quality of the lenses. Ie. if it's a simpler cheapo lens, you will start to see the lack of sharpness, vignetting, chromatic abberations a lot faster on the 5D than on 50D.

Thanks ...

I have 2 L class lenses .. 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 so .. they should suit the 5D II fine ...

i don't know about the 50mm f1.8 though ? maybe id need to upgrade to the 50mm 1.4 ? or 50mm f1.2 L !!! :O !!

what about the 70-300 IS USM F4-5.6 ? good enough for the 5d ?

Well the 50mm f1.8 should be one of the few non-L lenses that shout hold up as it is possibly one of the sharpest lenses around. (I have the same one and will test it with the 5D Mk 2 when it's being delivered =)

The 70-300 i haven't ever used so can't say if it's good enough. But look at it this way; it wont be worse than what you have now.

I think what you should ask is what you shoot 99% of the time. If the answer is fashion, with plenty of light availible or portraits (with the same) or maybe even weddings, then the 5D would probably be a better choise due to the quality.

If it's fast predator birds swooping down to strike prey then i suspect the top notch AF in the 50D and the FPS would be a wiser move. Same with fast paced sports like hockey/football/basketball. 5D might excel at golf and baseball though ;)

Either camera will give you very good quality by today's standards. The major differences have been listed, so you need to think about what will work best for you.

Keep in mind that the 5DII will give you huge files at full resolution, you may need to upgrade your computer.

Price is good for a new PRO model
I don't know that the 5D is any more 'PRO' than the 50D...maybe because it's FF and more expensive, but build quality is probably pretty close. A 1 series body is a PRO camera, and there's a significant difference. Actually, you might want to consider a 1Ds mk II, which might now be pretty close in price to the 5DII.

The 50D has some weather sealing too.

With your current lenses, they are begging you to get a 5D II!!

Listen to your glass.....

LOL

Derrick

(€2,000) on competitive sites...

I am in serious doubt here ... sure that those sites are not a scam?

Or are things really that cheap overseas? *Sigh*

Most reactions

Back