What's new

Confused about equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick2544

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
USA Panama China
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good day everyone,
What I don't know about photography could fill a library so I am here to ask those with more knowledge than I. Bear in mind that I am a total beginner but I want something I can grow into. Also I will probably not progress to more than an intermediate enthusiast and will not be making poster sized prints. I will be taking mostly street scenes, some portrait, some landscape and perhaps some wildlife shots later on.
I have spoken to many sales people and have narrowed their recommendations down to two. The first is:

Nikon D7100 Camera With Nikon 18mm-105mm f/2.8 AF ED VR Lens, Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-S lens , Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF ED VR Lens, Bolt VX-760N Wireless TTL Flash for Nikon,
2 Hoya Lens Filters, plus 1 Hoya Lens Filter Kit and a Vello Freewave Plus Wireless Remote Shutter Release, for a total cost of $2087.
If I really push my budget I can do barely do this.

The second and much less expensive choice is: Nikon D7000 with kit lens NIKKOR 18-105mm DX VR Lens
Includes Free Ruggard Outrigger 45 Backpack Watson EN-EL15 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.0V, 1800mAh) SanDisk 16GB SDHC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-1, Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AFlens, Vello Freewave Plus Wireless Remote Shutter Release for a total cost of $1407.08.
Here is my question: Is the D7100 worth $450 more than the D7000 and do I need all this equipment for amateur to enthusiast photography? If not, what would a good setup consist of? Bear in mind that I prefer a Nikon camera with an internal focus motor which rules out the D3000 and D5000 series cameras. And an absolute maximum expenditure of $2000 but preferably less.
Thanks everyone

 
 
If $2000 is your max, I'd go with the D7000 package and add a tripod and flash unit.
 
86 the filters, unless you're talking about polarizing or ND.

Don't be so quick to buy all the lenses at once. Take time to learn what makes sense for your needs.

Consider used.
 
A store offering filters and a wireless trigger and other cheap accessories is a store not to do business with. FILTERS are one of the single largest money-makers for camera stores and dealers. A cheap $29.99 filter can be bought by the gross for around $3.00 per filter. Hoya filters do not have quite that much mark-up, but filters of ALL brands are the industry's dirty little secret; filters have MORE mark-uop than almost anything in a camera store, except cheap Chinese-made gadget bags.

The D7000 outfit is way over-priced as well.
 
My advice is to go with the D7000, BODY ONLY. Buy a 16-85 f/3.5-5.6 and a 70-300 f/4.5-5.6, (used lenses) and put the rest into a tripod. This will give you the best quality you can get, given your budget, and really isn't a bad kit for ANY budget.
 
-D7100 body ONLY
-twin extreme pro 16 GB/ 95 MB memory cards
-Nikon 28-70mm 2.8

Thats my primary set up and I love it.
 
D7100 has some major advantages... although the D7000 is an excellent choice also. Your call on that.. but I would buy used for either if I were you!

Same for lenses... and start with one lens. That way you can learn what you need, rather than what you think you need or are told you need. Decide what you want to learn to shoot most starting out... and base your lens choice on that.

Stay away from the INCLUDES EVERYTHING packages.. most of the accessories are junk, which you will throw away and replace... total waste of money.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom