Confused about photo / frame sizing

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This should be simple, but of course, it's not.

I want to order a few prints for framing, in standard 8x10 and 11x14 sizes. I bought one frame so far for the 11x14.

Now that I have the frame home, upon looking at it closer, it makes no sense to me. It's a "14x8 frame matted for one 10x13 or 11x14 photo".

My questions:

1. How can it be matted for two different sizes?

2. I measured the actual opening and it's something like 9 1/2" x 12 1/2". Does this mean some of my photo will be cropped at each edge? If so, how can I possible crop a photo in pp accurately?

3. There is a small (about a quarter-inch) 'beveled' edge around the cutout. Does this somehow provide for framing an 11x14 photo? The size of this outer edge is 10 1/4 x 13 1/4".

4. How am I supposed to mount a photo into a cutout that is smaller than the photo itself?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks, all.

Jon

Its hard to buy a "generic" matted frame just for that reason. No two will be the exact same size wise.
Two options:
1. buy the frame you like with the matting you like, resize your shot to the size of the opening, then increase your canvas size. This will allow your complete shot to be seen without cropping out part of your content. Of course this is better done before you actually print a copy of your photo.
2. buy standard sized frames you like larger than the photo, then mat them yourself...fairly cheap, most hobby shops have what you need to do it.
Good luck with this, because framing can really make or break a photo.

OK, thanks.

Follow-up:

When I order an 11x14 print from Snapfish, will the print actually be 11x14?

(I still remember years ago, buying lumber, thinking I got ripped off because my 2x4s weren't quite 2" x 4". :lol:)

Jon

(I still remember years ago, buying lumber, thinking I got ripped off because my 2x4s weren't quite 2" x 4". :lol:)

:D

Neither are your quarter pound hamburgers at the fast food joints a quarter of a pound :wink:

OK, thanks.

Follow-up:

When I order an 11x14 print from Snapfish, will the print actually be 11x14?

Jon

That's funny...1.5" x 3.5" is just harder to say than 2" x 4"
Usually they will be within a fraction of the actual size +/- not enough to really matter.

Buying from mpix.com made this whole thing a lot easier for me. And they do quality work.

Received my print from mpix and I could not be happier.

Thanks for the recommendation, ranmyaku.

Jon

an 8x10 print with borders means the image is going to be 7.5 x 9.5 as the border is .25 inch all the way around, or any size print with a border will have the same .25 white edge all the way around the image.

frames that had pre-cut windows follow that formula.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back