Confused beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdreporter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just bought a Canon 1DXII, mounted a tamron 18-270, and began getting pictures like this. Have used this lens on 3 other canon bodies with no problems. 2 other lenses mounted on the 1DX body with no problems. This has me confused. Suggestions?
AR2I9742.JPG

I don't know the specifics of the camera and lens, but I'd say you've got a full-frame camera body and a crop-body lens. The lens isn't designed to cover the entire full-frame sensor.

Your lens is for a smaller APS crop sensor camera, while your camera has the larger full frame sensor. There's probably a crop sensor setting in your camera until you get a full frame lens for your camera. The lens mount is the same whether its full frame of crop sensor, just the sensor size in the camera is different.

Crop sensor lenses shouldn’t fit on a full frame in Canon. The crop factor lenses are EF-S and don’t fit.

Ah I missed the Tamron part

As you zoom the lens out, it will eventually cover the entire image. As stated above, that lens is made for cameras with a smaller sensor, and at the short end of the zoom range it simply can't cover the full-frame sensor in your camera.

I appreciate the feedback. It was my error for not reaching an understanding between Aps-c and fullframe cameras/lenses. The tamron is not a full frame lens. will keep it for use on other bodies.

Don't apologize. None of us were born knowing this... we all learned exactly the same way you did.

Don't apologize. None of us were born knowing this... we all learned exactly the same way you did.
I know of one person who learned the difference between a crop sensor and full frame lens without first buying the wrong one!:smug:

As others have written, the Canon 1DXII is a full frame camera and the Tamron 18-270 is a CROP FRAME lens.

I know of one person who learned the difference between a crop sensor and full frame lens without first buying the wrong one!:smug:
Actually there are quite a few of us who couldn't afford full frame bodies, until we'd been shooting & active in the Photographic community for years. We've been lucky enough to learn from queries like this.
Unlike Canon Sony, Pentax & Nikon cameras will share lens mounts between FF & APSC lenses/cameras. I think their FF bodies default to APSC mode when a crop lens is fitted

Personally I've fallen foul of other mistakes like buying a Minolta lens knowing I had adaptors for Minolta AF & SR, only to find they had another incomparable mount. Adaptors for this are rare & cost more than most of my camera bodies...
At least the OP can use his lens! :happyblush:

the problem is as covered by others. Looking at the spec;s there is just a small part that says it’s for crop sensor cameras
having said this and with respect to all that have posted, used creatively it can give a very different view/image to normal. I have two sigma wide angle lenses that are for crop sensor camera, but i intend to play with to get the image within the dark circle have fun... just dont even think of buying canon EFS GLASS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back