Considering a move Chicago: Is this a nice place to live?

Is Naperville a reasonable commute for somebody who works downtown? How would one commute from Naperville? Train? Is that the L train?

Naperville is a very popular place to live, and one of the largest incorporated cities in Illinois. It also has one of the best school districts in the country, if you have kids. Commuting from Naperville, or just about any suburb, is very easy. Naperville has a main train station, and you'd be taking the "METRA" - the commuter rail. It is not the "L" train; that runs closer to downtown. METRA is clean, reliable, and affordable.

I should note though that how convenient Metra is for you depends on where you would work downtown. If your office would be in the loop - no problem. You can walk from union station a few blocks. If you're on the north side or south side, you would then have to jump on the subway, which would be annoying, but I did it for years.

Is Naperville a reasonable commute for somebody who works downtown? How would one commute from Naperville? Train? Is that the L train?
Okay now your getting a little bit too close to me! Do you just wanna move in here? :) Jk. Naperville is beautiful and has great schools. One of the best suburbs in Il. Like Heitz said you would have to take the Metra and not the L. The L only runs downtown.

Naperville is pretty nice (but expensive). It also has some neat old houses and a great riverwalk.

Since you mentioned you were an NRA member, it has the Naperville Sportsman's Club that has trap shooting and some of the nicest people. It's also reasonably close to the Oak Park Sportsmen's Club (in Plainfield), which has a bit of everything but is a bit of a pain to join.

If you're looking in that area, you may want to check out Downer's Grove. It's a nice town with a train station and it's cheaper.

just watch out for that south side!
its the baddest part of town.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate commuting more than anyone in the world, but I thought Naperville was absurdly far from downtown during the brief interval I was doing business out there. Me, I'd get a place right close to my job. The location of the job is basically they only true known quantity here, why start out making sure that one known thing is all screwed up, in hopes of perhaps optimizing some unknowns instead?

I hate commuting more than anyone in the world, but I thought Naperville was absurdly far from downtown during the brief interval I was doing business out there. Me, I'd get a place right close to my job. The location of the job is basically they only true known quantity here, why start out making sure that one known thing is all screwed up, in hopes of perhaps optimizing some unknowns instead?
Naperville is going to be much more family friendly then living downtown, but the cons would be the commute and the costs go up. Naperville isn't cheap either though, but cheaper then downtown living. Like I said before it depends on the lifestyle you are looking for.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I had the big interview this morning. I think it went well--we'll have to see what the feedback is from my recruiter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back