Considering buying Spectrum LED lights for product photography

Kalyori

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all - I'm new here.
I'm looking for some advice on LED lighting for product photography.

I currently have a Foldio3 and it works quite well for small products up to about 20cm in height. However, I find it becomes a bit less suitable in the 30-40cm range.

I do photograph some larger products as well up to about 100cm in either dimension. For that, I use a white backdrop & a flash with a Godox softbox.

I'm wondering if adding some Spectrum LED lights to the setup with the flash will be beneficial (or perhaps if I can even use them instead of the flash.)

Has anyone used these, or a similar type of LED lighting for larger products from 60-100cm?

I'm concerned perhaps the shape is not ideal and won't spread the light evenly enough over the products and I'm not sure how powerful it is compared to the flash. Maybe it won't even make a difference?

Would appreciate any input on this.
Thanks in advance!

Most likely you will need some type of diffusing material for the lights, either umbrellas, or soft boxes or, panels or scrims.

Kalyori, I have two Neewers that are similar in power. At 3500 lumens those aren’t that powerful even though the appear to be. If you measure them with a light meter they don’t put out a lot of light.
How do you like what you’re currently using? What are your typical camera settings? Are you able to shoot at iso 100 And f8? Can you shoot fast enough to hand hold or are you tied to using a tripod?
I don’t use mine for still photography. Mostly LED works well for video.
Maybe it seems like too much of a hassle or too complicated or too expensive but I’m wondering why you’re not looking at some strobes, in particular some used strobes?
For the $500 you could find a complete set of 3 Paul Buff, Alien Bee’s, probably with stands, umbrellas and a trigger or sync cord etc.
I’m sure those LED’s will work but LED is not ideal for still photography, especially as your skills grow, the lights won’t grow with you!
SS

I'm wondering if adding some Spectrum LED lights to the setup with the flash will be beneficial..!
Greetings, and welcome!

I don't use LED lighting, but I would caution you about mixing types of lighting. I'm sure you already have considered color correction in editing, but mixing two or more types of lighting might be a problem.

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in responding. I did see your advice and took it into account - I did not go ahead with the LED lighting.
Managed to find some good strobes which worked with my existing one. Testing them out tomorrow.

Thank you again for your advice!

Welcome to the forum! =]

I would advise not to mix light sources. Use flash or LED’s, due to the CRI discrepancies between the two you will spend more time in post correcting colour when you mix them.

FWIW, LED panels with bead emitters can cause stepped shadows unless they are heavily diffused which will reduce your light output significantly. I would suggest using strobes with modelling lights if you are seeking the best control and visual indicators of light placement.

Most reactions

Back