Is this the right lighting solution?

Jakubklos1994

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I hope you are all well!

I am buying new lights for the e-commerce business I am working for.

We sell articles that are up to 1.5m large even if 90% of them is not over 50cm. The room environment is dark.

I would need to shoot some videos of installations as well that's why I was thinking about the continuous light.

My budget is about 700 to 800 pounds and I was thinking to go ahead with 2 GODOX SL150WII.

question 1: do you think this light are enough for product photography? or a better combination would be Godox 150 and 2 60w?

question 2: what type of softbox or parabola do you recommend for them.

question 3: There is any way I can make the post processing process a little bit easier, at the moment I am cutting every picture around for a white background and recreating shadows in Photoshop.

At the moment I am using some cheap softbox from Amazon, they do the job for small items up to 50cm but is time for an upgrade.

I have one more question. In case I don't need to make videos would you be able to recommend some other lights on budget. strobe or flash. I never used them, do you think it will take long to learn how to use them for product photography?

Best regards,

Jakub

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello Everyone! I hope you are all well!

I am buying new lights for the e-commerce business I am working for.
We sell articles that are up to 1.5m large even if 90% of them is not over 50cm. The room environment is dark.
I would need to shoot some videos of installations as well that's why I was thinking about the continuous light.
My budget is about 700 to 800 pounds and I was thinking to go ahead with 2 GODOX SL150WII.
question 1: do you think this light are enough for product photography? or a better combination would be Godox 150 and 2 60w?
question 2: what type of softbox or parabola do you recommend for them.
question 3: There is any way I can make the post processing process a little bit easier, at the moment I am cutting every picture around for a white background and recreating shadows in Photoshop.
At the moment I am using some cheap softbox from Amazon, they do the job for small items up to 50cm but is time for an upgrade.
I have one more question. In case I don't need to make videos would you be able to recommend some other lights on budget. strobe or flash. I never used them, do you think it will take long to learn how to use them for product photography?
Best regards, Jakub
1.5 m isn't very large - three or four clamp lights with 25 - 30cm reflectors and household LED bulbs may serve your purpose, at least for still photos.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
In regards to the continuous lighting and doing installation videos.

I started doing YouTube videos using my Nikon D750.
I bought one then two GODOX SL150W 5600K 150W LED LIGHT ** NOT the SL150WII's available now.
One I used my large Beauty Dish with a diffuser I had for it.
The second one I used a (from amazon) Neewer Photo Studio 24 inches/60 cm Octagonal Softbox Combination with Bowens Speedring.

The Godox 150s work great.
Except my Nikon D750 needs much more light, at least 2x for video and my lens setup.
My cell phones iPhone 6S and XR work great with the lighting. So I switched to using my iPhone XR for YouTube videos with those two Godox 150s.

With the videos, one Godox 150 has a noisy fan the other a quiet fan. But you can hear both in the background if I have the microphone turned up.

I wish I saved up a bit more and bought some 300s instead of 150s. It's better to have the extra lighting and turn it down than not to have enough.

With your stills. If you want shadows, then work on your lighting to get the shadows that you want. Maybe the softbox isn't what you need. When I was doing some product stuff I would use a large white flexible cardboard and have it curved upwards in the background. Then I could control the lighting and shadows using standard flashes w/diffusers and rotate the object for different angles.

But I'm not a professional studio photography, product photographer, etc. Just have fun with it nowadays.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back