Considering change from Nikon to Canon. Need advice.

It does sound like your plan is probably the least expensive way to go with a professional full frame setup if you are not happy with Nikon. I think you need to maybe rent or borrow a 5d for a while to see if you can live with it.

Hi I completely understand your frustration. I own the Nikon D7000 too and came across the focusing issue before. Don't listen to those who says user error, this is completely camera error. I even could not get a sharp image in good sunlight with at least 1/2000 sec of a building or any subjects. I sent my back to Nikon to repair, they fixed it more or less but having issues with my 18-105 lens, it does not focus consistently on different focal lengths.
For example @50mm it's pretty ok but at the ends it's just not there yet.
Those who says user error I would mention that using the live view mode I can make tack sharp images...

So I also considered moving to Canon, only reason is that I mainly shoot sports and I read lot of good things about the Canon's white magic 'L' lens of the 70-200 f4. The Nikon 70-200 f2.8 version would cost appr. 3-4 times more for which I do not have money. Also the Canon's lens park is really good, their 'L' lenses costs less then a similar Nikon lens so having transferring to Canon I could make a good choice of lenses for a reasonable price.

I had a chance to try several really good lenses from Nikon on my D7K body, like 85mm f1.4 or the 24-120 f4, 105mm macro, but these costs a fortune. These lenses just amazed me and it seemed my Nikon worked with them really good and the pictures were just razor sharp...

The only drawback to moving to Canon would be the price again, the body I would buy is like the 5d Mark II (or the III one) or 7D, but these would be expensive though.

My other idea is to sell my D7K and buy a used Nikon D90 and I would spend the difference between the bodies on a good lens (like Sigma 70-200)...

Not sure if I answered your original question at all but at least wanted to say I'm with you with your D7K focusing problem and I have gone through the same pain that you did (like calibrating lenses, shooting idiot test shots checking focus accuracy...)

Cheers,
Bela from Hungary

Hi I completely understand your frustration. I own the Nikon D7000 too and came across the focusing issue before. Don't listen to those who says user error, this is completely camera error. I even could not get a sharp image in good sunlight with at least 1/2000 sec of a building or any subjects. I sent my back to Nikon to repair, they fixed it more or less but having issues with my 18-105 lens, it does not focus consistently on different focal lengths.
For example @50mm it's pretty ok but at the ends it's just not there yet.
Those who says user error I would mention that using the live view mode I can make tack sharp images...

So I also considered moving to Canon, only reason is that I mainly shoot sports and I read lot of good things about the Canon's white magic 'L' lens of the 70-200 f4. The Nikon 70-200 f2.8 version would cost appr. 3-4 times more for which I do not have money. Also the Canon's lens park is really good, their 'L' lenses costs less then a similar Nikon lens so having transferring to Canon I could make a good choice of lenses for a reasonable price.

I had a chance to try several really good lenses from Nikon on my D7K body, like 85mm f1.4 or the 24-120 f4, 105mm macro, but these costs a fortune. These lenses just amazed me and it seemed my Nikon worked with them really good and the pictures were just razor sharp...

The only drawback to moving to Canon would be the price again, the body I would buy is like the 5d Mark II (or the III one) or 7D, but these would be expensive though.

My other idea is to sell my D7K and buy a used Nikon D90 and I would spend the difference between the bodies on a good lens (like Sigma 70-200)...

Not sure if I answered your original question at all but at least wanted to say I'm with you with your D7K focusing problem and I have gone through the same pain that you did (like calibrating lenses, shooting idiot test shots checking focus accuracy...)

Cheers,
Bela from Hungary

LOL You say you have problems with your kit lens when she says that's the only lens that she can get "sharp" images with. Don't think of "User Error" as trying to say "You're Stupid". It's saying that these systems are complex, and take time to learn. You can't simply do it by reading the manual once or twice and then shooting for a week. It take months, even years of repetition and some studying as well.

Dude, just answered a thread from January. lol

Most reactions

Back