Considering switching

scaryloud

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently own a D810 and a D500. I am considering switching out the D500 for the Z6. I have a few reasons for considering the change. First I'll state I don't plan on investing on the new Z lenses in the near future.

My current lens list is as follows:
Nikon 18-35mm G
Nikon 24-70mm non-vr
Nikon 50mm 1.8 G
Nikon 50mm f/2
Nikon 85mm 1.8 G
Tokina 100mm 2.8 macro
Tamron 100-400mm w/ tap in console

The primary reason I'm interested in switching are for a few of the features of the Z6 and the IBIS. Nikon is offering the FTZ for free, which brings the cost of the Z6 within my range.

Focus peaking is one of the features I'm interested in. There are times whenI shoot manual focus and focus peaking seems like a huge help. Next the focus stacking for when I shoot macro. Trying to do that manually or shooting at f/22 or smaller is just not very desirable.

The biggest interest I have in the Z6 is for low light capability. The D500 isn't bad under about 2000 ISO and the D810 is pretty similar, maybe pushing to 2500 or 3200 ISO. There are times I want/need to push ISO to 6400 or higher with minimal noise.

I shoot exclusively in RAW format and although I can edit photos to reduce noise, the results are never as good as not having to do it to begin with.

Where I'm hesitant about switching is there are times, though not often, where I shoot wildlife and enjoy the crop factor of the D500. The speed, ruggedness, and buffer depth of the D500 are other reasons not to switch. There are what I consider small issues with what I've read about the Z6, but Nikon seems to be taking care of them with firmware updates.

Does anyone have experience with the Z6 that has advice? I have no interest in the Z7 or D850 mainly due to file sizes and cost. I also rely on using 2 camera bodies with different lenses when I go out shooting.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I don't know if the AF on the Z6 is up to matching the D500.
It may need the next generation of sensor to do that.

Why not keep the D500 and just add the Z6. Then select the best camera for the shoot.
Or do you have to sell the D500 to finance the Z6?

I recently switched from DX to m4/3.
BUT, for fast sports, I am still using my D7200. The affordable Olympus m4/3 (even the EM1-mk1) are not up to fast sports, for me. And I tried HARD to make it work, but in the end gave up and went back to my D7200 for sports.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I would have to sell the D500 to afford the Z6. The D810 is my landscape and portrait camera and I'm not willing to part with it. I want cameras that can share lenses. I do at times just go out with one camera body when taking long hikes so it's just easier to grab one camera and a couple of lenses. Plus I don't have the money to buy duplicate lenses.

The Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro is a screwdrive lens and wont autofocus with the FTZ adapter.

I played with a Z6 at my local camera shop. I brought my D500 and my Tamron 18-400mm f3.5-6.3 and MacBook Pro. I fed the images into into LR. I had problems with the AF on the Z6 locking in lower light situations where the D500 locked right in and I could see the artifacts in the shadows on the Z6 that have been reported in a few different reviews, but I really had to look for them. In normal light, I couldn't tell much of a difference between the two. I'm going to stay with my D850 and D500 for a while yet. Probably buy when the next generation of mirrorless comes out and there are a few more Z mount lenses. If I was starting from scratch, I would probably go with Sony.

Isn't it interesting that Nikon has already discounted the Z6 and Z7 by including the lens adapter for free.

I highly recommend you rent a Z6 before you decide to buy. The D500 and D850 AF system is really hard to beat for wildlife / birding and sports. Ask yourself if the Z6 will make you a better photographer then ask what will, then spend your money there.

Nikon had to discount/include the FTZ adapter, cuz there isn't enough Z mount lenses yet, so you HAVE TO use F mount lenses for many things.
Canon did similar with the M50, the EF-to-M adapter was discounted with the camera. And I would guess the EF-to-R adapter similarly for the R camera.
This all presumes that you are coming from the dSLR camera and have the dSLR lenses to use on the mirrorless camera.

If you are totally starting from scratch, the picture is different.
You would have to get dSLR lens(es) to hold you over until they make native mirrorless lenses.
Or go Sony.

So I pulled the proverbial trigger and got the Z6. This camera is amazing. The EVF alone is tits! The image quality is extremely nice. I haven't had many problems with using my F mount lenses with the adapter, except for Tamron. That was an easy enough fix with the tap-in console though. I haven't done much low light YET, so I can't comment on that. There is also so much more that can be customized and tweeked than on a DSLR. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning that just got a new train set, or chemistry kit for you nerds out there...lol.

I read the dPreview article on how FANTASTIC the new Z-series 50mm lens is...a significant improvement over the G- or other series 50mm lenses Nikon has made for years. I have read also, from Ming Thein, how good the 24-70mm Z series zoom is.

I'm still happy with my 50mm 1.8 g lens for now. As for the 24-70mm. I have the non-vr 2.8 in prestine condition. I'd be more interested in the upcoming z 2.8 version, but that'd mean selling not just the current one I have but also my D810 to afford it. I'm not there yet. I'm hoping for an aps-c mirrorless camera before I go that route.

I expect that with a few years, the 3xxx ad 5xxx models of Nikon cameras might well transition to mirrorless.

Review: Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 S

While the 50/1.8 G is a good performer (I have owned it since 2011 or so)..the Z-series is _amazingly good_ wide-open. I seldom shoot a 50 prime any more, but it is a length that has gained a lot of traction since the early 2000's.

Last edited:
Oh I did see the reviews. My problem is personal usefulness/cost ratio. I just don't use a 50mm prime, or 35mm prime that often to justify spending $600 on it. If it we're an 85mm prime, or a 90-110mm range prime macro lens, then it definitely would be in the cards.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back