Considering this lens as a walk-about for vacation.

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
New to me, not my wife, a bus tour to Cape Cod. She will have the Panasonic 14-45/3.5-5.6 on the GF1 & I am considering a Tokina 35-105/3.5-4.3 close focus as my walk-about on the G1. It seems like a nice range of focal lengths. I took it out this morning to give it a work-out & captured the following shots:

1. In close focus mode

P1060733sm.jpg

2. In close focus mode

P1060744sm.jpg

3. @ 105mm

P1060750sm.jpg

4. @ 35mm

P1060741sm.jpg

5. @ 35mm & CPL

P1060751sm.jpg

6. @ 35mm & CPL

P1060756sm.jpg

The images seem acceptable but there are two disadvantages I see, one being it is heavy but I do have a shoulder strap & the other is that the front lens turns as you focus, making the use of filters problematic.

I am also thinking of taking a fast Minolta 50/1.4 for low light situations & the Panasonic 45-200/4.5-5.6 in case I want more reach.

This sure is not like traveling in your own car where you can haul all the gear you want.

LOL, I saw your first post earlier today, and was wondering if you were asking a question or just stating a fact.

I've never done the bus tour thing, but my experience with canoe/camping trips leads me to say that that lens would be a good one for light packing given it's range alone. But of course you know more about the actual quality of that particular lens than I do. And I'm sure that others on here will have some good technical comments about that lens vs another, but I did want to say - have a fantastic vacation!

ETA - yes, bring at least the -200 as well, then you are covered for those shorebird-on-the-beach type shots.

Last edited:
Thanks BlackSheep.

I am partial to primes but a zoom seems most appropriate for a vacation. I have other zooms in this range, Mackinon 28-80, Soligor 35-70 & Kalimar 35-70 but the Tokina beats them all for IQ when I tested them on a chart. The Tokina is a one touch & is subject to creep & I prefer a two touch as some of the others.

It's tough when you have to pack light, eh?

I agree about preferring primes. I'm not sure if this helps, but on camping trips with my old film camera I always used a 24mm, a 75-200 and a 400mm, and that's it. Now that I've switched to digital, my 24 has been replaced with a 10-24mm, but the rest remain the same and I still am only using those three lenses when travelling. So far, I've never needed anything else.

Ron, I would go with the Tokina ... and a wide prime if you got one.

I was counting on the 14-45 on my wife's camera for wide as I expect we will always be together but her camera is always set to full auto jpeg. However, I do have a Vivitar 28/2.8 close focus that has great IQ I could take if there is room in the bag. The nice thing is that all my lenses are usable on both bodies.

You are going to love the Cape. I really want to go back with more time and better equipment! I only had one day and nothing more than a P&S. It was a much longer drive for me. I had an 18 hour drive by myself in the dead of winter. :meh:

I've taken several bus tours both here in the States and in Canada and Europe. I finally settled on just carrying my Sigma 17-70 and a 50 f1.7 for low light. I find this range covers just about every situation. If I'm going somewhere like Alaska I will take my 70-300 otherwise I found it easier to pack light. The 35-105 should serve you just fine along with your wife's lens. One thing to think about is that you will be on a bus so you can carry extra lens and change them while in the bus before you get off at a stop. That way you can set up whatever lens you want before hand. Also, it's safe to leave your extra equipment on the bus while your out as they usually lock the bus or the driver stays with it. Enjoy your trip !

Thanks Nod, that is encouraging information. I am apprehensive about a bus tour as I like the independence of my own car. My wife has been on a few & praises them but I see myself as held hostage but time will tell. I think the worst part will be the boredom of sitting in transit. I always drive on trips.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back