Recommendations on Nikon D3200 Lens

Soumya Nayan Kar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been shooting for sometime with my Nikon D3200 with the kit provided Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens.
I am currently looking to purchase a new all-in-one lens to go with my camera.
I do not have yet identified a specific type of photography that I am particularly fascinated by,
hence I am looking for a good all-in-one lens that I can carry along in my vacation trips to capture the entire spectrum from zooming on landscapes to portraits to close ups of flowers.

I have been doing some basic research and have identified the following two models:
But I am not very sure on which should be a better buy considering my usage patterns. I also want to make sure that should I upgarde to a better Nikon camera, I should be able to reuse the lens.
I am not shy on spending the few extra bucks but I would like to understand the immediate and long term benefits.
Can somebody provide some guidance around this area and help me make a choice.

It might not help that much but when I had a Nikon D3200 I had two lens only, loved both of them too. The 35mm f1.8 and sigma 18-300mm f3.5-5.6

For me, the must have lens for the Nikon APS-C cameras is the Nikon 18-140 DX. I use it about 80% of the time with my D5200 and D7200.

Always use the right tool for the job! Primes are almost always better at their focal length than their respective zoom counterpart.

But zooms are very versatile, and current ones are pretty great in quality! I can recommend Tamron for sure. The one you listed is fine, and you could also consider the 18-400 if you want more reach. https://www.amazon.com/Tamron-18-40...912&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=tamron+18-250&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Like @dunfly , except for the macro function, I use a Nikon 18-140 as my standard lens.
I found 140mm to be "long enough" for most stuff that I shoot. And I am willing to trade off the longer reach of super zooms that go out to 300mm, for better IQ of the shorter zooms.

Just remember the old saying "a jack of all trades, is a mater of none."

Note, there is always a chance that a future Nikon camera will NOT be compatible with your lens.
Nikon has done it to their own lenses.
Example, your D3200 cannot autofocus with the AF and AF-D lenses. The AF and AF-D lenses require an autofocus motor in the body of the camera, which the D3xxx and D5xxx series cameras do not have.​

Most reactions

Back