• Continuous Drive

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Single Drive

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

cnhoward

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been doing wedding photography for about 5 months. We are using Canon 30D's and there is a bit of a debate in our studio as to whether we should use continuous drive or the single drive function. I believe that using the continuous drive function (not the high speed function) is a better option because it allows the photographer to focus lock, take a shot, and take another if the situation demands it. If the photographer had been using single drive he would have to refocus and possibly miss the opportunity for a great shot. The other side of the argument says that while using continuous shot the photographer is frequently seduced into taking multiple shots of the same subject, none being much better than the next. I realize that this is perhaps a matter of "taste" so my question is as follows: what do you normally shoot with, continuous drive or single drive?

Use custom function 4 to set the auto focus to the little button near the shutter that you control with your thumb, so that the argument against single drive doesn't matter, then buy several big memory cards so that the argument against the continuous drive doesn't matter. And Then use whichever drive mode is most comfortable for you.

I usually prefer the continuous mode these days, though it really depends on what I'm shooting.

This is entirely dependant on the camera and the settings. I have the D200 set so I can shoot twice in single shot without refocusing. Providing it doesn't go focus hunting even if I do re-focus it'll be done instantly.

As for missing the shot, wouldn't the shot then be out of focus? I don't understand what kind of a situation you are applying it to here? There's also a setting on my camera that says wait for focus lock before releasing shutter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back