Cleaning

bazza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

On a few of my pics, especially the ones showing sky, I have small spots on the final result. I've took my lens off and looked through the viewfinder and there are those spots.

Can I clean this myself or does it have to be professionally done?

thanks...

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

I clean the sensors of my 20D's and 5D. It can be scary at first, but is really pretty easy. Read the whole article on cleaning, and make sure you have the right tools and materials. I tried to take a shortcut with a brush I bought and cleaned myself, and I left a bunch of residue on the sensor that was worse than the original problem. I use a dedicated air pump (manual powered, not compressed air) to blow dust off the sensors about once a month, and do a wet cleaning about twice a year.

Wait ... You shouldn't see the same spots in the view finder as you do on the exposed picture with the lens off. One would shot the dust either on the rapid return mirror or the focusing screen, but the other is sensor related. Something is weird.

Thanks guys.. That did it, all it took was a blow with a manual pump..

I can still see bits of dust through my viewfinder when the lens is off but they aren't there on the jpeg's..

As long as the pics are ok, thats the main thing.

Thanks again.

Thanks guys.. That did it, all it took was a blow with a manual pump..

I can still see bits of dust through my viewfinder when the lens is off but they aren't there on the jpeg's..

As long as the pics are ok, thats the main thing.

Thanks again.
I have a some bits of dust and a few dog hairs on my view finder on my camera but I cant seem to shift them. The sensor is spotless but I would really like to know if anyone does, how to clean the viewfinder.

Just to clarify...any dust & dirt that you see through the view finder or on the mirror can not possibly show up in the images because the mirror flaps up and out of the way when the shutter opens. The dust spots in the image are from dust on the sensor. Dust on the lens may show up but not likely.

I don't think this was said really explicitly, if at all:

If you see dust that is in focus through the viewfinder, it's undeniably on the matte viewscreen. Clean the white square thing that is above the mirror. This seems to be your case, and blowing out the inside usually fixes it.

If you see dust that is in focus on your image, it is undeniably on your CCD. Clean your CCD.

Also I reckon:

If you see dust that's really out of focus through the viewfinder, it's on the mirror or your lens.

If you see dust that's really out of focus on your image, it's on your lens.

Most reactions

Back