Controlling extremes of light

amandaschmamanda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Lucida, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have this project for one of my classes to "create an invisible experience." Long story short, I'm going to take pictures with black & white film, BUT I need them to turn out either all white or all black, i.e. via over/under exposing them. I won't be developing them myself so I need to make sure this happens within the actual taking of the photo, and I want to be able to control it.
Basically my question is, will I be able to do this with the light metre and such alone, or are there other things I can do so they come out black or white? I have a Nikon F65 with a manual setting.
Odd request but it's an odd assignment.
[/FONT]

I'm confused, it sounds like you either want a black print or white print with nothing else included, please explain in more detail. But if this is what you want, dont expose 1 frame and the next needs massive overexposure, basically burning out all the neg.

I'm not sure I understand. If you want prints with few or no grays, the usual route is to use a litho film. These films are designed to produce negatives with pure blacks and whites -- no grays.

Or perhaps are you trying to achieve high key and low key effects?

I'm sure she is looking for high contrast images. Litho film, of course will do that on the film side. Photoshop will do that on the digital side.

The way I understand it she wants 2 silver-bromide prints. One white, one black. No images. So make an exposure with the lens cap still on, and another one with off-camera flash flashing straight into the lens. That oughta take care of it, methinks.

seems like the obvious thing to do would be a very long exposure in bright light and then a very fast exopsure in low light

you don't need negs
just print onto paper and under or overexpose

Most reactions

New Topics

Back