The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I volunteer teach in a local High/Medium security prison and, although all the students are sharp, civil and respectful (because they don't want to lose the privilege of going to class) I get to meet people with an interesting take on life.

I was in the classroom a bit early and a single student was there waiting for the class to begin. He is a very big, very tough looking guy missing a few teeth but with scars and tattoos to make up for it. Somehow we got talking about what the prison life was like and he mentioned that his sentence was life + 100 years and he had been in that specific institution for 21 years and 31 years in the system.

I asked if life inside had changed much. He said it was less violent now but much more smaller acting out and challenging authority by young guys. It was better before when there was more violence because anyone who was going to step over the 'line' knew he would get his throat cut. It became clear that the authority he was talking about was the internal gang's rules.

Was he rehabilitated?

Being serious.

Last edited:
My guess was that there were multiple offenses and they were to be served consecitively.
This kind of sentency removes most chances for parole especially where life without parole isn't a possible sentence.

At least he can rest assured he will fool the system by not serving his sentence in full.

My guess was that there were multiple offenses and they were to be served consecitively.
This kind of sentency removes most chances for parole especially where life without parole isn't a possible sentence.
:confused-55: Doesn't "life" pretty much sum it up? If you're alive, you're in jail. Do they have a special section where they keep the dead inmates?

:confused-55: Doesn't "life" pretty much sum it up? If you're alive, you're in jail. Do they have a special section where they keep the dead inmates?

My guess, from watching TV, is that there is potential to be paroled from any sentence after some specific time has been served - even life. I know another current inmate who is petitioning for a reduction in sentence and then he will be eligible for parole because he has already served the required proportion of that reduced sentence.

What subject is it that you teach?
I teach basic statistics. Not with the aim of them actually doing calculations but so that they can recognize what is going on when they see numbers used and quoted on TV or in publications.

Many of these guys, if not most, come from disadvantaged background and, either that or bad choices, left them with little education. By teaching them about statistics and probability, showing them how numbers and probability actually works in real life around everyone, it gives them a bit more understanding - and, I hope, empowerment.

This is my second year. First year I had 12 students, this year 22.
The only downside is that I must buy the books for a class, stats books are grotesquely expensive and getting enough of the same good books in a recent edition is really a chore.
So I have ended up with crappy books and to compensate I generate 8-10 original typescript pages for each class.

I think it's great what your doing but be very careful Traveler. I volunteered in that environment as well. There are very cunning people in prison.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would never work in another prison, I have worked in quite a few not teaching but construction trying to make living conditions better most of them abused us mentally by threats and one time we were attacked 1 guard again 5 is not much use

Most reactions

New Topics

Back