Conversions

FuryofNature

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.furyofnaturephotography.com
Just by chance, I had the oppurtunity to go back to the room I did the "Panoramic/joiner" photo in. I couldn't get more to fill in the bottom of that piece because the room is completly different.

I did however get a few good shots of the rehearsal.
I like this photo, but the conversion seems a little off to me. I made it black and white because the background had so many colors and patterns visable. I wanted the focus to be more on the singer than the background. What should I do to make the black and white look better?

BenRehearse.jpg

_KA

It's quite dark overall. Although there are some light highlights they are dominated by dark midtones and shadows. Try lightening the whole thing the adding contrast to get a more even spread of tones.

Much better contrast in the second B&W. :thumbup: Makes all the difference in the world. :)

I'd be content with that one. The sepia toned image has caused some hot spots over the singer's face; it now looks blown instead of lightened.

well you know you should have taken it in colour and then play around with the channel mixer in photoshop...or my personal favourite for normal stuff, microsoft digital image 2006. (just under 100$ but very easy to use and quite powerful).

otherwise the sepia blends in with the character and also your style of work.

don't take this the wrong way, but have you tried doing something more original in this field, because these are all done and redone style shots. it must sound like hell, what i just said, but what i mean is i see a recurring pattern in your work, you're starting to reuse ideas and these kind of shots have been redone a million times. if you want to see what i mean by something original check out for example christina aguilera's stripped album cover. those are a bit different fmpov. but also you have your way which is cool but looks like the beatles and i don't know if there are bands which wanna look like that anymore. i mean no disrespect or anything of the sort, on the contrary i think you're a great photographer just hope you understand what i mean, like taking it to the next level. i dunno, the stitching part was indeed quite original...hmmm.

I did take it in color.
BenRehearseColor.jpg

The first one is with channel mixer.

As for doing the same thing....I see it to. And it's pissing me off. But I'm struggling to find something new. How many ways can you phtoograph people. blah.

I know I'm limited by my lens, and thats no fun. I think maybe since these photos are the same people again and again, I was trying to pull it together with a theme. I'm tired of the slightly sepia look.

I'm just, blah lately. I don't know where to go next.

_KA

hey well don't be glum chum :D get your copy of feel good time from gorillaz and just chill to it. i've found that my photography improves dramatically when i just sit back, enjoy life and just take shoots while doing what you like or with people you like. and just try to show them from your perspective. and don't get bummed out because you just have to know it's repeating but you should leave it all come from the inside.

i'd ask ote but i've no editing software since my last format :(

anyways keep doing what you're doing because it's good but at times it's good to just stop, look listen and then let it come from the inside again. gluck:D

hey you know what, read this, it was exactly the same thing that happened to me and after talking with these guys i made shots that were featured on the practical photography website and 3/3. so it's worth reading into. i believe it's around the second page what you really need but i advise you to read it all.
http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30741

Most reactions

New Topics

Back