Copyright blah blah blah...

Thanks for the info, I'm 99% sure they just grabbed it from her profile. I asked my friend in law school and she said it was illegal but she is just in her 2nd year so I'm not sure how knowledgeable she is.

I would assume that 2nd year law school would mean she is about 900% more knowledgeable than most of us here:D. However, with most things, especially when dealing with legal issues, the devil is in the details. It would probably be prudent to trace the image history from your camera to wherever you found it before making any formal moves on the club.

Thanks for the info, I'm 99% sure they just grabbed it from her profile. I asked my friend in law school and she said it was illegal but she is just in her 2nd year so I'm not sure how knowledgeable she is.

I would assume that 2nd year law school would mean she is about 900% more knowledgeable than most of us here:D. However, with most things, especially when dealing with legal issues, the devil is in the details. It would probably be prudent to trace the image history from your camera to wherever you found it before making any formal moves on the club.
Unless she is studying copyright law, I am not sure you should assume that. There is a reason why lawyers specialize.

Unless she is studying copyright law, I am not sure you should assume that. There is a reason why lawyers specialize.
I believe the specialty would be intellectual property law.
This is correct, but using that broad description, would also encompass trademarks, patents, trade secrets, as well as copyright law. I wasn't calling copyright law the specialty ( although you could argue that an intellectual property rights lawyer could specialize mostly in copyright law ), I was stating that she would have to be knowledgeable in that specific aspect of the law as law is a very wide ranging thing for one person to have complete knowledge of. Let alone a 2nd year law school student ( no offense intended to the law student ).

That's why I said most of us and not not all of us. I'm sure there are people here who are very knowledgable about copyright laws, but I seriously doubt the majority would know more than a law student that has been studying for a couple years. The important thing is get get all the information you can about where, when, and how the image changed hands. The best copyright lawer on earth can't tell you for sure if they acted legally or not without knowing all the details.

You guys might find this useful to show to clients and to use yourself, as people often confused by intellectual property and copyright law. I've written an interesting scenario that explains the law to help clear up this tricky subject - what do you think? Link below.

http://www.joelknightphotography.co.uk/#/c..._page/13209.xml

Please share to raise awareness and spread knowledge.

Now that this was bumped, what was the outcome?

Most reactions

Back