Copyright

grahamhunter2001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I've been lurking about this great forum for a few months now learning more about photography and picking up hints and tips.

Anyway, I was wanting to know how you would deal with a copyright issue I've just found out about.

I was at an event a couple of months ago taking some pictures for myself. It was a kayaking event organised by the national body. I was asked to send them any half decent pictures so they could use them in their magazine. Now, I'm no pro photographer so I was quite happy to send a few pictures along and see if they got published. I sent them some low res (1024x768) photos I thought were really good with the only condition being that they credited me with taking the picture. My girlfriend got the magazine this month and found one of the pictures I sent in the article about the event. I feel really happy that the picture got published but they haven't credited me with the picture which I'm feeling really annoyed with, its not as though I was charging for the picture - all I wanted was recognition that I took it and there was nothing.

The only thing I could see in the whole magazine was a disclaimer at the start saying that "The SCA fully acknowledge the copyright of all photographic contributers, known and unknown". To my mind when someone asks to be credited with a photo it means to have their name published beside the photo so that people know who the photographer was. It seems standard practice in other magazines to do this.

I was looking for some advise on how to approach this.
Should I send off an email to the magazine saying I'm not happy that the terms I set out for the use of the photo have not been met? send them an invoice? leave it and get over it and just be happy that it got published?

Graham

mmmmm tricky one.

i think you should be happy it got published and put it down to experience.

although i know you must of been cheesed off.

if this happens again and you send a pic in also send a letter/contract saying that the pic is given free but you must be credited with your name on the same page as the photo. and tell them that if this cannot be done please do not use the pic.

hope this helps

mmmmm tricky one.

i think you should be happy it got published and put it down to experience.

although i know you must of been cheesed off.

if this happens again and you send a pic in also send a letter/contract saying that the pic is given free but you must be credited with your name on the same page as the photo. and tell them that if this cannot be done please do not use the pic.

hope this helps

I'd be happy that my photo got published. But fair is fair, that photo is copyrighted to you. Since you live in Scotland, I'd contact the people at Practical Photography or Digital Photography. These guys will definetly know what your rights are, and who knows.... they might even make an issue about it in a magazine...

If I shoot a photo here in Norway, norwegian law states that the photo belongs to me. This would indicate that any magazine in Norway wanting to publish my photo is required by law to credit it to me... I would be surprised if the law was very different in the UK...

I definitely think you should address the magazine with your concerns regarding copyright, at the same time, I wouldn't make too big of a stink over it - you can use it in your portfolio. Perhaps suggest that in their next issue they may want to give you credit (like in newspapers were there is a tiny itty bitty box in the corner and it apologizes for completely messing up someones name under a caption)

It is a sticky situation so.. best of luck

They should have credited the pic to you, but if this is how they get all pics, free/contribution and none have credits then by submitting you have effectively given them rights to use the pic.

Look up 1998 copyright law for the UK. H

Most reactions

Back