Cord cutters

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wonder how many there are here.

We recently bought a Roku 3 streaming media player and cancelled our cable subscription. I have Hulu Plus, and may add other services as I discover them.

Our cable/internet bill went from $200+ a month to $70 a month, including the Hulu subscription.

I also upgraded to 50Mbps internet service (from 20Mbps)- it would be $30 less a month if I did not do that.

How on earth do people get these speeds? I have 3MBPS interwebs. Yes, 3. As in "That's it? Seriously?"

How on earth do people get these speeds? I have 3MBPS interwebs. Yes, 3. As in "That's it? Seriously?"

Well, living in Wisconsin doesn't help...:mrgreen:

I have 20Mb right now...once I move I'll probably get 50Mb as well. I don't do cable. I used to have Netflix but watched everything I wanted to watch...maybe I'll renew when they get more stuff. Cable is ridiculously expensive, and I refuse to spend that much money for the crap shows they attempt to pass off as entertainment.

I also find the whole cable industry to be ludicrously corrupt and fickle. There's only a couple of big players in the TV arena, which is why there are so many "wars" for channels lately. Everyone is playing hardball because they can, and the companies with the biggest pockets end up winning. The losers? Everyone who actually pays for the service. It's all a bunch of mega-businesses puffing their chests and trying to show everyone else up. It'll hit the internet soon enough I bet...which won't be fun.

3Mbps or 3MBps? There is a (big) difference...

If 3Mbps, wow - I hope it's cheap.

Seriously though, those are 1990's speeds if you're only getting 3 Mbps...

They tried to talk me into 70Mbps for another $10 a month, but I just didn't think I needed it.

And I agree that corruption is rampant in the cable industry.

I cut the cord years ago. Cable TV prices are just over the top nuts, IMHO.

My internet is $30 per month for 30 Mbps, and that's plenty fast for me. I have Amazon Prime because I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, and that gets me plenty of programs and movies to watch beyond what I get over the air with an antenna on a post outside that cost me another $30. Plus, the networks have practically all their shows on the internet if you're willing to wait a day or two to watch them, instead of on their original date and time slot. I've got a large collection of DVD's I've bought over the years, and now I buy a BluRay disk on occasion. I'm especially enjoying the 3D stuff.

It all works perfectly for me through my 3D BluRay player that plays nice with my home network and wifi, and spits it all out to my 55" HD 3D TV.

I don't miss Cable TV one bit.

Last edited:

Yeah...

2952224173.png

Joey, you're right. For what we pay, I think Comcast by my dad has 25 mbps service...

My internet is $30 per month for 30 Mbps, and that's plenty fast for me. I have Amazon Prime because I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, and that gets me plenty of programs and movies to watch beyond what I get over the air with an antenna on a post outside that cost me another $30. Plus, the networks have practically all their shows on the internet if you're willing to wait a day or two to watch them, instead of on their original date and time slot. I've got a large collection of DVD's I've bought over the years, and now I buy a BluRay disk on occasion. I'm especially enjoying the 3D stuff.

It all works perfectly for me through my 3D BluRay player that plays nice with my home network and wifi, and spits it all out to my 55" HD 3D TV.

Who is your provider? I've always found it to be more expensive than what you are paying, for comparable speeds (down in SE Michigan). I think I pay over $50 for my 20Mb service (ATT Uverse). I'd really love to get Google Fiber or even Verizon fiber in my area...

Joey, you're right. For what we pay, I think Comcast by my dad has 25 mbps service...

How much do you pay? I have Uverse as well, and for what I pay my speeds are nearly identical to what Comcast offers in my area...

I'm browsing the forum and streaming a movie on the TV right now, and this is what I'm getting:

2952231012.png

Who is your provider? I've always found it to be more expensive than what you are paying, for comparable speeds (down in SE Michigan). I think I pay over $50 for my 20Mb service (ATT Uverse). I'd really love to get Google Fiber or even Verizon fiber in my area...
Charter is my provider. $29.99 per month, to be exact. My plan is for 30 Mbps, with unlimited upload and download quantity. I just ran a speed test, and got this:

2952240153.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but I wanna say $30 or $40 a month. Bundled with TV which keeps creeping up... If we had decent speeds we would have cut the cord a while ago.

Charter is my provider. $29.99 per month, to be exact. My plan is for 30 Mbps, with unlimited upload and download quantity. I just ran a speed test, and got this:

That's a good price...any issues with the service itself? I might have to look into switching...

I want to say that the FCC considers anything better than 4Mbps 'Broadband'. I'm not sure that we even needed to upgrade to faster internet, but I figured watching stuff on the TV and looking at stuff on the computer at the same time, it couldn't hurt.

That's a good price...any issues with the service itself? I might have to look into switching...
I haven't had any issues with it, other than one time a neighbor was apparently fooling around with trying to steal service on the same pole I'm hooked up to, it caused some leakage problems, and a tech came out and unplugged everyone on that pole, including me. I got that explanation after they sent someone back out and he got it back on, which was pretty quick after I called them and told them that it went out.

I wonder how many there are here.

We recently bought a Roku 3 streaming media player and cancelled our cable subscription. I have Hulu Plus, and may add other services as I discover them.

I would like to but both my wife and I are into some HBO Series' which is our biggest hangup.

We also have a Roku 3, Netflix, Amazon Prime. And because Roku has an HBO Go app and Time Warner Cable app, we can pretty much use the Roku exclusively instead of going through the cable box. We have an Xbox on the upstairs TV that has apps for Netflix, Amazon, HBO Go, and as of a week ago Xbox has a Time Warner app too so I can basically watch our entire cable lineup through the Xbox.

Live sports is the other cable-cutting problem.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back