Corporate Head Shot Project - CC Please

JohnnyWrench

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Finally finished this huge project and looking for some feedback. I work for a city government as a graphic designer and over the years I've also taken on the role of city photographer. I was recently tasked with shooting new head shots of all the department heads and their deputies which quickly snowballed into something like 50 people. I'm new to portraiture and I've never done anything on this scale before.

Attached are 4 of the better ones. This was shot indoors using a large window as the backlight, two speed lights behind an umbrella as the key and a large, silver reflector as the fill. All shots were in the neighborhood of ISO 200, f/2.8, 1/400 on a Nikon D700 with an 85 1.8G. Retouching was done using the frequency separation method. Thoughts and constructive criticism appreciated.

$Headshot1.jpg

$Headshot2.jpg

$Headshot3.jpg

$Headshot4.jpg

Your new? I couldn't tell one bit!

Really nice work! They look great on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great job!!

As far as lighting, exposure, white balance and focus, these are great. My only nit pick is that they're all square to the camera. I would turn them just enough so they have to turn their head to look into the camera instead of facing it head on.

The lighting and posing look good, but the background doesn't really say "professional headshot" to me.

The lighting and posing look good, but the background doesn't really say "professional headshot" to me.
I also don't love the background, however these look great considering you're a non-pro just stuck into a job

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4; probably while slacking off at work

I strongly suggest reducing/refining wrinkles on the ladies ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edited to protect the innocent

Last edited:
I like these ... looks like you were able to engage w the models, their expressions are really good and energetic.

The only thing I might change is to maybe darken the background a tad. I agree w Dan re: turning the models.

Thanks everyone. Posing was definitely a struggle. I had them turned but maybe not enough with such a close crop. I didn't want the dreaded neck wrinkles. And the background is me making the best of a less than perfect situation. I had to find a place within our government buildings that would work for this, I had no studio backdrop, and just 2 speed lights. There was also zero budget for this so buying gear wasn't an option.
Again, thanks for the input. I appreciate it! :cheers:

Last edited:
got it covered on my end. I cannot help with the rest of the comments

Most reactions

New Topics

Back