Corporate photo with a sunrise over the ocean?

Pukka312

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.uniquexpressionsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I'm being hired to do a corporate photo for an annual report, and they are asking for it in front of the ocean. The timing is early morning and the sun will probably be about 60-90 minutes after sunrise. THe sun will be behind them. They showed last years photos, which were shot very traditionally in an indoor corporate setting. I've explained that the general vibe might not give a very corporate feel, but they feel that since everyone will be in suits, it will look corporate. I went so far as to suggest it may look like a corporate retreat. But they are really certain that it will work fine.

That being said, I'm trying to figure out if it's even possible to light the group photo in a way to give it as much of a corporate presentation as possible. I'm working with 2 speedlights.

They are having the individual corporate portraits indoors so I insisted on a backup group shot in the same location.

Depends on how many people and the output of your speedlights, you might want to consider 2 large reflectors in addition to your lights. Remember they will most likely be in dark suits which can complicate the lighting.... try to do a test with a few friends if possible.

If the sun is behind them, you will need something to be lighting up the front of them. Reflectors or speedlights could work, but they have their limits. It will really depend on how large the group is, and how close you can get the reflector or speedlight.

If it's a mid to large group, you may need to find a spot/angle where the sun is actually lighting the front of them. Or maybe rent some really powerful studio strobes and some sort of portable power.

Another, less than ideal, solution might be to shoot each person and the background separately, then make your final image by combining them together digitally.

First of all, 60-90 minutes after sunrise; have you determined if that is even a feasible time? What you DO NOT want to have is the sun just above their heads when you're shooting, because there's NO way two speedlights are going to overpower the sun at that way. I would suggest considering either shooting when the sun is 3-5 degrees above the horizon so that the orb can be blocked by the subjects and you'll get a nice backlit glow, or wait until it's high enough not to be a background issue.

I would nicely ask them if they could show up just before the sun comes over the horizon. Your speedlights will be enough power then, and the sky will probably look nicer.

I would nicely ask them if they could show up just before the sun comes over the horizon. Your speedlights will be enough power then, and the sky will probably look nicer.

Would love to ask for that...however, Tanzanians are notorious for being late. If they say 5, they mean 7 or 8. With a corporate function, i am guessing they will try to be a bit more prompt. The conference starts at 8:30 am, so I have to be done by then. They've asked people to "start coming" by 7, which would honestly be about 20 minutes after sunrise I think. But unfortunately I'm betting a few will waltz in around 8 or 8:15, so I'm anticipating the group shot will have to be last order of business. If everyone comes on time, I will be forcing the group shot first. I have roughly 120 degrees of ocean view I can use, so I can try to keep the sun out of the frame.

What speed lights are they? If they are small like an SB-600 I would worry about them being able to overpower the sun, 90 minutes after sunrise it should be pretty high in the sky.

If it was me I would definitely go there the day before and check out the sun and get an pretty good window of time that you will be able to shoot, if you haven't already. Also if it is at all possible I would try to get them to commit in writing to a time for the group shot if what you say about them always being late is true. It would suck to have your shot screwed up cuz some "suit" can't be on time. I mean how do they make it in the corporate world if they are always late??

The suggestion about the sun @ 3-5 degrees is also very good. If your lucky you may even be able to push it to 7 degrees but i wouldn't go more than that, I couldn't resist. :razz::sun: But seriously tiredon is right on the money as usual. Good luck with your shoot but I am with you in thinking the beach isn't probably gonna make the best backdrop for a corporate shot.

Last edited:
Once the sun is in the frame, it's blown out. The only way it's not blown out is if it's hidden or not fully risen. If you expose for the sun, everything else will be dark and you can't pump enough light into it. You could do a composite with a sunrise shot and then a group shot where the sun isn't in the frame. If they don't need the sun in the frame, it becomes a simpler backlighting situation. A meter can tell you the difference in stops from the backlit side to the shadow side and how much light you need to fill in to balance the scene. You'd probably need studio strobes or a giant reflector, or more than two Speedlights. If you can get them in some side light and still have the ocean in the back, you'd get a bit better look because the shadows would define the faces and you'd have to fill in only one side.

You could go out there the day before, but it would also be a waste of time if you are going to predict the weather conditions for the day of the shoot. It can change in the blink of an eye. I was supposed to shoot this group in Dar es Salaam at 7:30 in the morning, but alas...... stragglers before the meeting nixed that idea. It was a glorious morning to have been done. We rescheduled for after the lunch break. In the 10-15 minutes it took to get the group together in the 2:00 o'clock hour, a huge cloud bank rolled in. Standing on a rickety step ladder, I fired away anyhow. Using a reflector and a hot-shoe mounted flash, this was one of the better shots.

29 heads
i-JmnzhxN-XL.jpg

Thanks all for the suggestions! I am going to do what I can....and still insist on an indoor group shot in the conference room. I think it will be a necessary backup. I've never seen corporate beachy group photos, but hey, maybe I'll start a trend here. ;)

That being said, I'm trying to figure out if it's even possible to light the group photo in a way to give it as much of a corporate presentation as possible. I'm working with 2 speedlights.

This says "I'm not the person to shoot this assignment."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back