Cosplay blurs on the right

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$_MG_7802_kenny.JPG

Does anyone knows why people on the left are sharpened, and people on the right are slightly blurred?

Last edited:
What were the shooting parameters? The whole image seems a bit soft. As for why the right side of the image is softer than the left side it could be subject movement, slightly different camera to subject distance or even misaligned lens elements.

How clean is your lens?

Lenses focus on a plain, and these people are more-or-less aligned into a single plain.

Maybe a smudge on the sensor?

Have you noticed this problem in other pictures?

I noticed there is a speck of dusts or lints inside the lens. I don't know how to take it out.

This image seems okay
$_MG_7800_kenny.JPG

The rest of the images are sharped

My guess is that you rotated the camera (quite hard) as you took this one. 18mm and 1/125 you gotta be whippin the camera around a bit, but that IS the side where the shutter button it.

Or could be the lighting. I think the right side has less light, and the left side has more light. The first image the flash was off. The second image the flash was on.

Or could be the lighting. I think the right side has less light, and the left side has more light. The first image the flash was off. The second image the flash was on.

That wouldn't account for the blur. The exposure time is the same across the frame.

That wouldn't account for the blur. The exposure time is the same across the frame.

Objects closer to the axis of rotation appear to be 'moving faster' though. Weird, but true. Not saying that is the case here - just saying that it *might* be a possibility...

I also may not be explaining it accurately, but the effect - whatever it is called - is well know and has a name, I just can't remember that name.

I looked at the first sample picture and thought that maybe the lens had badly decentered elements...I mean, the first image seems like you were squared-up pretty well with the group, and the right side is soft, almost as if the lens had taken a very hard impact and had decentered an element. The second image looks pretty bad...it has that shot through the bottom of a Coke bottle look that reminded me of the ORIGINAL 18-55mm Canon kit zoom lens that came with the ORIGINAL Digital Rebel models in the USA...a realllllllly cheap, awful,awful lens that was sold only in North America, while the remainder of the word got a USM-equipped kit 18-55 lens that was world's better. I had one of those 18-55's, and at 18mm it was absolutely HORRIBLE, with really bad (as in worst-I-have-ever-seen-in-40-years_ chromatic aberration that just killed sharpness...it made things fringe so bad it was like looking at a 3-D baseball card...

I dunno what's going on with your samples...they seem to be very subpar. How often does this happen? Does it happen onl;y at the very short end of the zoom's range? Is the lens you have a used lens? Could the lens maybe be one of those OLD, original, non-USM 18-55 kit lenses? Some dealers will scour the market for NOS or New Old Stock, sold wholesale at lowball prices, in order to make their own package deals.

$_MG_7538_kenny.JPG
Shutter: 1/60
Aperture: 4.0
ISO: 125
This is done in poor lighting. The left side is soft.

$_MG_7624_kenny.JPG
shutter: 1/60
aperture: 4.0
ISO: 125
This one, the group is slanted. This image looks sharp.

Last edited:
I looked at the first sample picture and thought that maybe the lens had badly decentered elements...I mean, the first image seems like you were squared-up pretty well with the group, and the right side is soft, almost as if the lens had taken a very hard impact and had decentered an element. The second image looks pretty bad...it has that shot through the bottom of a Coke bottle look that reminded me of the ORIGINAL 18-55mm Canon kit zoom lens that came with the ORIGINAL Digital Rebel models in the USA...a realllllllly cheap, awful,awful lens that was sold only in North America, while the remainder of the word got a USM-equipped kit 18-55 lens that was world's better. I had one of those 18-55's, and at 18mm it was absolutely HORRIBLE, with really bad (as in worst-I-have-ever-seen-in-40-years_ chromatic aberration that just killed sharpness...it made things fringe so bad it was like looking at a 3-D baseball card...

I dunno what's going on with your samples...they seem to be very subpar. How often does this happen? Does it happen onl;y at the very short end of the zoom's range? Is the lens you have a used lens? Could the lens maybe be one of those OLD, original, non-USM 18-55 kit lenses? Some dealers will scour the market for NOS or New Old Stock, sold wholesale at lowball prices, in order to make their own package deals.

Were you a big Canon supporter?

Most reactions

Back