COST

captain-spanky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.higg.co.uk
does cost hamper your photography noticably? If you're non-UK, how much does it cost you? Do you develop and print yourself or do you take it to a shop to get it done?
I'm finding myself scared to take pictures sometimes as i can't afford to get more than two films developed and scanned at a time...
I'm starting to think i should have saved up and got a decent digicam instead of an SLR... :? :(

Hey man.. well first of all It all depends on what kind of work you are doing. When I want to work (wedings, friend sessions, etc.) on it It pays itself I allways have the price to cover the prints, although sometimes its difficult if you are just selling one print, to get eanough for the print and the contact sheet. As for scanning them I have a scanner. You would be better off buying a scanner than a Digi slr camera. But as I said, it depends what you do. Now if you have the time to sent it to the lab for developing, and aftwerwards scan them yourself then go for it....

I seldom do color print work, simply because I prefer B&W film, which my husband develops for me. So rarely do I have cause to send film off for processing. For color, I am a slave to Fuji slide film, which isn't particularly costly to buy or develop. I have a pretty good scanner and can get prints from those slides at home.

For me, it's the peripheries that ate my lunch when I first got into it. A good scanner, a photo printer, quality inkjet paper...I do hand tinting and bought photo oils and pencils, all kinds of other stuff that was photo-related.

I sure know I ain't in it for the money!! :wink:

urameatball said:
for me, shooting digital helps a lot.
At the end of the day, I can end up with 1500shots and not worry about processing or film costs. Although the time to get everything on computer can be quite cumbersome.

Where do you live and what do you do? Are you a fashion photographer? What kind of work makes you do 1500 shots a day? :shock:

Or was that (at the end of the day) phrase?

being a student on a loan cost hampers me a lot though photography is something i spend money on the most... well maybe not as much as alcohol :lol:

but at the moment i have a backlog of about 14 print films some of which need to be developed on CD! i'm not very happy about that! it may cost a lot but then if you're a keen enough photographer and relatively sensible it shouldn't stop you taking photos.

however, i am seriously considering getting a Dig SLR. the amount of photos i take would soon balance the cost within about a year.

i totally know what you are talking about (i shoot film) and being poor sucks so in alot of ways it does hinder my shoting

yeah same goes for me....i took about 50 shots of B&W negatives to be printed at my local camera store and they charge 55 cents each 4X6!!! so im ending up paying about 30 bucks for a measley roll and a half of prints.....once i get $1000 in my hands im going digital and never looking back......

danalec99 said:
urameatball said:
At the end of the day, I can end up with 1500shots and not worry about processing or film costs. Although the time to get everything on computer can be quite cumbersome.

Where do you live and what do you do? Are you a fashion photographer? What kind of work makes you do 1500 shots a day? :shock:

I shoot motorcycle trackdays. Pump out about 200 shots an hour from 9am to 5pm.
on my last outing, I was only shooting for under 1hr and ended up with over 200pics.

urameatball said:
danalec99 said:
urameatball said:

I shoot motorcycle trackdays. Pump out about 200 shots an hour from 9am to 5pm.
on my last outing, I was only shooting for under 1hr and ended up with over 200pics.

It a good thing that you don't have a Mark2. I do the same thing when I shoot baseball about 300-400 shoots for one game, before when I would shot film used about 4 to 6 rolls per game

i also know what u mean i shot a but load of film at the long beach grand prix like 5 or 6 rolls in like 3 hours and thats quite a lot for me thank god i dont pay for development :) the only reason i keep my job haha

Most reactions

New Topics

Back