Could kick myself in the butt... help question

Snowbunny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So last week I left my camera (Nikon D5000) out in the truck after going out with the kids on Mother's Day. It was a gorgeous day and I left the windows and sun roof open.... can anyone see where this is going yet? :blushing:

That night it poured....and I had forgotten to close the windows when I went in for the day. When I went out in the morning the whole front half of the truck was soaking wet, and my precious camera....still sitting in the passenger seat. Promptly took the battery out and put the body and lens in a tupperware container with some of the moisture sucking packets in it and left it there for 2 days hoping to draw out any moisture.

I tested it the other day and the camera is MUCH slower than normal, so i know the water did some damage to it. Only, I'm not sure if it's the lens that's screwed up or the body, and my other lens I lent to a friend who went to greece on a cruise so I can't test it. Anyone have any ideas if it's the lens or the body, or both?

:grumpy: so mad at myself.

I suggest you take it into your local camera shop and try another lens on it!

Let it dry out MORE before turning it on again!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that the weather is getting hot, you should be able to find a place to put it where the ambient temps will drive out additional moisture. Running current through wet electronics is a bad idea. Give the camera another few days of drying time.

Uncooked rice will absorb a ton of moisture.

Put the camera in a plastic bag with a bunch of rice.

Put the lens in another bag with rice.

Last edited:
It took around 2 days for my remote release to fully dry out when it got a very light (two seconds) dip on a pond - so I echo the advice to keep it off and continue to dry it out. If you do the rice remember to keep the rise apart from thecamera body but in the same sealed container (otherwise you'll have problems with rice in the camera too ;) - or more seriously flakes of rice breaking off and rice dust getting inside)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back