Countryfile comp

Lorrilia

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This year the countryfile TV programme is setting up a 2019 calendar. The competition for amateurs only photos. The theme for this year is seasons. So I thought I'll enter it with 2 possible photos of Sand Martins feeding their chicks. But before I go any further on this, I want you opinion on them first. Is it worth putting them in?

Any critics is appreciated.

IMG_4323.JPG
IMG_4326.JPG

I have over the years submitted several images to this calendar and I have never had one accepted. The standard that they look for is for the want of a better word is Professional. Take a look at previous calendars you will see what I mean......Good luck..

So why they are asking for amateurs to compete. It's pointless for a amateure to try if they're looking for professionals photographer to compete. I did look at the photos over the years and they do look like pros had taken them.

So why they are asking for amateurs to compete. It's pointless for a amateure to try if they're looking for professionals photographer to compete. I did look at the photos over the years and they do look like pros had taken them.

Amateurs are people that don't make money photographing. Doesn't mean they don't have professional looking images.

Every year I send in three, and this year I will email three in, it`s great fun.

I gave it up as a bad job years ago.............:)

My mate came second two years ago.

Well, one thing is certain: you will definitely not win unless you submit.

Exactly.

I'm not a big gambler. Stand a better chance of being struck by lightning. Another reason I don't stand out in the rain. Lol. When the Lottery is at a crazy 4 or 5 hundred million, I spend 2.00. Why? Can't win without a ticket.

Enter your pictures. There's always a chance. Never know.

The reason they want amateurs to enter photos is they can make a profit and not have to pay for your photos because.....exposure.

Now having said this. Wildlife photographers can be made by the awards/covers/magazines/calendars they've been in. Also even if you don't want to turn pro furtog (Ha ha furtog. That's it from now on I'm a furtographer!) it's pretty cool when someone takes interest in your work.

SO.....if you want to submit your photos, do it.

Now for the critique.

These are pretty good images but the first one is to soft to be considered so we'll focus on the second image.

This image has the eyes of every subject facing the camera +1
The composition is a little to centred for me. I would crop so the nest was in the upper right quarter of the frame.
If you wish to look at other images, I'm sure you managed a shot or two of just the chicks sticking their heads out. Sometimes you can manage a shot just before the adult shows up and the chicks are showing thier excitement or even chirping. Not all great shot require action. Some can also be the two chicks keeping each other company.

Good luck.

Thank you Zombiesniper for the input. I do have 2 chicks on their own waiting for their parents to feed them. I think I'll send that one too.

I know it's like the lottery, it's a gamble but it taking part that counts. No harm in trying. I did it last year but didn't come anywhere. It's like Dave said it's for fun.

Most reactions

Back