What's new

Couple of night shots. C&C as i would like to learn nights

Ernicus

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 18, 2012
Messages
2,689
Reaction score
337
Location
Old Town, ME
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While driving home from my failed water venture, I drove by this spot and turned around cause I still wanted to take pictures. It looked good in my head. Dunno about on here as I am not sure what to look for in night shots.

They were shooting fireworks in Canada as I was doing this, so i swung the camera over and tried to catch some (pic 4), this is the only one that came out, kinda. lol. It was really too far away to capture, but was fun trying.

$DSC_0162-1.webp$DSC_0163-1.webp$DSC_0164-1.webp$firework.webp
 
First off, the first 3 are all severely underexposed (don't worry, I'm guilty of it aswell :lol:.) The trees in the first three also distract away from the subject and are quite dull. The firework in the 4th shot is nice, but isn't quite exciting enough to just be in a picture on its on. I'd play around with the exposure in Lightroom/Photoshop and maybe convert to B&W, there's a lot you can do in post.
 
In night shots, I like to look for bridges, skyscrapers, buildings in general. The reflections on water look always look nice as well. I normally use quite long exposures as well (10 seconds+) Light trails also look good, like this one I took. Now I'm no export, but focusing on these things produces some decent images for me. I also like a sense of mystery in my night shots, hence the numerous comments about underexposure in my threads :lol: which I'm quite guilty of.

IMGP0144-2.jpg


UndertheBridge-2.jpg
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #5
I was reading up on trails and will play with that one day, there is not much traffic here at night to try, small town.

Pretty hard for a night shot not to be underexposed isnt it? lol. I did not expect much from it, just a quick grab. It (the area I was shooting) was pretty far away and not much light around where I was to try wher eI was at. I like the tips on comp though, will take that into consideration.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom