Covering Lens Lettering

stevenjbimages

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Do any of you cover (paint/sharpie pen) the lens lettering on the front rim for a more stealth appearance?

Also cover the camera body branding with black tape.

I personally don't do that. Are you trying to be more candid in street photography or trying to stop glare of some sort in the photos?

Last edited:
On my Argus cameras I cover the name plates with tape and write in "Hasselblad"

I personally don't do that. Are you trying to be more candid in street photography or trying to stop glare of some sort in the photos?
It was a thought - getting people's take on the idea. I recall in the film days - street photographers would cover the branding of the camera body with tape to draw less attention.

The only thing I have is some cammo covers or tape on a my, 800, 500 and 150-600 lenses but nothing that covers the writing on the lens ends. Never heard of the writing being covered before.

I have never heard of covering the name on a camera except in movies and TV so the film company does not have to pay for the rights to show the name. And since most of my cameras (all film) are silver bodied it would be useless.

The biggest FOAF conspiracy theory left over from the 1980's....
I heard about this often in the 1980's But never once saw it done or heard of it done in real life....

I have come across film cameras & lenses where the manufacturer's name was obliterated (filed or scratched off, etc). This was due to customs regulations that existed at one time. Photographers had to do this (or thought they had to do it) in order to bring their gear back to the US. I don't know the details of the regulations but you might run across gear where this has been done.

In a similar vein (please pardon the digression) it was once fairly common for owners of higher priced cameras to carve ID information into their camera bodies and lenses in the belief that it would deter theft or assist in recovering stolen gear. Of course, it ruined the value of the equipment at the same time but that didn't seem to occur to them. These engravings were usually very crudely done by hand with a sharp instrument. Sadly, I have come across many valuable items such as Leicas, Rolleis and other fine cameras and lenses where this has been done.

Most reactions

Back