CP and Hood

icassell

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Dumb question --

When I use a circular polarizer and have a lens hood on, it becomes a royal pain to spin the CP (especially with the deep hoods on my tele lenses). Does anyone have a method that works?

Some hoods have a notch, to make it easier to rotate a filter. You could cut a notch in yours, but then you open up that area for the possibility of flare etc.

You could use a screw in hood, that screws into the front of the filter.

You could just abandon the hood and use your hand or something else to keep the sunlight off of the front of the lens.

You could use a screw in hood, that screws into the front of the filter.

Hmmmm ... have never seen this kind ... might look for them. It's not an issue with my standard and UWA lenses, because the hoods are petal-type and pretty shallow. The hoods on my 50-150 and on my 100-300 are quite deep and I often use them with a CP.

I've got a couple of those folding rubber lens hoods. Just watch out that they don't vignette on your wider lenses.

I typically haven't used a CP when using telephoto lenses. A CP can rob up to two stops of light, and I usually want or need that light more than I need the benefits of the CP.

Keep in mind though if you use a screw in hood, you probably won't be able to put on the lens cap without removing the hood. Just an added inconvenience that you might want to factor into your decision.

Thanks all. I use my CP frequently. My 50-150 is an f2.8 and my 100-300 is an f4 so I'm often not too worried about the loss . I guess I had seen the rubber screw-ins in the wide-angle variety, but never had seen one for telephotos.

Most reactions

Back