CPL question

sarasphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want a CPL but I am confused on the sizes. I know I need a 52mm for my 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens but what do I get for the 35mm f/1.8 lens? I cannot find it anywhere! Also is the CPL useful for portraits of people?

I want a CPL but I am confused on the sizes. I know I need a 52mm for my 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens but what do I get for the 35mm f/1.8 lens? I cannot find it anywhere! Also is the CPL useful for portraits of people?
If it's this Nikon lens, then you're lucky: it's also 52mm.

it is the nikkon lens, sweet, thanks! :)

also, is it good for portraits of people indoor and outdoor? or is it maily used for outdoor?

also, is it good for portraits of people indoor and outdoor? or is it maily used for outdoor?
Of your lenses, I'd go with the shorter end of the 55-200mm for portraits. Your 35mm can reach a wider aperture and provide you with a much nicer bokeh, but you'd be too close to the model for comfort --plus their face/body might not look too natural if you have to get too close to them. The wide 35mm, however, gives you the option of shooting in close quarters, but of course that's probably not the setting you'd want to choose for portraits.

I have the D3000 so the 35mm will actually be 50mm on my camera. What does the CPL do for portrats of people? Does it help the photo or not?

For Nikon lenses, the filter size is noted right on the lens, usually the bottom near where it mounts to the camera, and it looks like: ø 52. The number is the filter size in mm, 52 mm in this case.

thanks that makes it easy!!

What does the CPL do for portrats of people? Does it help the photo or not?
The CPL will do no more and no less for portraits than it will for any other type of shot. It's main purposes are to enhance color, primarily blues and greens, reduce glare / reflection from reflective surfaces and increase contrast, most notably in clouds. You will lose ~1.5 stops of light. It is a good tool to have in your bag. Don't cheap out, make sure it's multi-coated. Notable brands for the general shooter are B+W, Hoya and Tiffen.

I would add that the CP works best at 90 degree angles from the sun. Also get in the habit of turning it counter- clockwise (from behind camera) so that you don't accidentaly unscrew it.

I would add that the CP works best at 90 degree angles from the sun. Also get in the habit of turning it counter- clockwise (from behind camera) so that you don't accidentaly unscrew it.
To amplify that, a CPL works best when the lens axis is 90 to the Sun and the Sun is less than 30° above the horizon. A CPL doesn't work well when the Sun is directly overhead, which is also 90 to the lens axis.

A CPL used for portraiture can make some people's skin look strange.

Right you are KmH, I didn't word that right.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back