"Cracking" Wide zoom?

Canosonic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have recently noticed that to make a shot I need to have a step back more often than I have to come up closer with my 18-55 kit lens. That gave me the reason to get a wide angle.

Now at a moment a was sure to get the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 for 890$ but recently found in the price lists a Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 at a price of 615$.
It has a larger focal range (4mm , but still!) , is faster and cheaper!

Is it really so? I don't think photographers will buy something more expensive for nothing, will they?

And if I get one of these lenses, will my Cokin P-series filter holder be visible in the scene?

It may be faster (not really visible in real life) and cheaper, but it is also not as sharp nor contrasty and has higher distortion numbers than the Sigma. You get what you pay for, in this case.

BTW, the 20 or 24 mm makes no great difference. Wrong end. Now if you said the Tokina was a 6mm-20mm, now that would be a big difference!

BTW, I freaked about the prices you mentioned... until I noticed where you were from! :) Wow, things are way expensive in Germany! That same 10-20mm lens in the US is around $450!

And yes, your P series filter will likely creep into the edges of the frame when zoomed in to 10mm

These are GB prices. I am not looking into buying anything in Germany, because its even more expensive! And I was thinking of receiving them on eBay,the shipping costs only 50 bucks.

Most reactions

Back