Craigslist spam / scam

flatflip

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I always check within 100 miles of my hometown craigslist for camera gear. I found a Nikon D3100 new-in-box for $380. Only an email was provided so I clicked and waited. The reply I got was; "I already sold it but you should check here ____" Janet said she got 2 of them for $70 at bidsell.com. At first I fell for it. I clicked on the link she provided but didn't like the look of the address. I then did a little research of bidsell.com and went back there (not through the spam / scam link).

I have since found 2 other listings on craigslist of the same camera in the last couple days.

I think the scam is that if you register and bid at bidsell via the link provided in the email reply, the scammer will get bid points (worth money), like they referred you. Meanwhile they lie and waste my time.

I always check within 100 miles of my hometown craigslist for camera gear. I found a Nikon D3100 new-in-box for $380. Only an email was provided so I clicked and waited. The reply I got was; "I already sold it but you should check here ____" Janet said she got 2 of them for $70 at bidsell.com. At first I fell for it. I clicked on the link but didn't like the look of the address. I then did a little research of bidsell.com and then went there (not through the spam / scam link).

I have since found 2 other listings on craigslist of the same camera in the last couple days.

I think the scam is that if you register and bid at bidsell via the link provided in the email reply, the scammer will get bid points (worth money), like they referred you. Meanwhile they lie and waste my time.

Watch out for the one where they reply with something along the lines of

"I moved and I have put the item on ebay through a company.. Here is the link to the item"

Then they give you a long story why they moved and how they don't need the items plus they give you a link that looks like eBay, but it is not ebay!! beware.. always ALWAYS check your urls

Yeah, it's a good idea to never click links in emails from unknown people.
In many email programs, if you just hover the mouse over the link (but do NOT click) it will show the true URL that the link goes to...and many times they are different from scammers.

I always get the guy from the UK that want "his shipper" to pick up the item, always written in a very generic way whenever I try to sell stuff.

btw... I'm not sure this is the correct forum to post this in.

I listed an item on Craigslist. Got the spam bot reply "do you still have it?" I replied yes and that if they were interested this was a cash only local sale no exceptions. I then get the following email.

------------ Forwarded message ------------
Date: Apr 18, 2011
Subject: Re: Real Italian leather sofa
To:
[email protected]

Hi ____, thanks for getting in touch with me. My hubby insisted
that we help you out like we were once helped out, lol. We used to do the same thing as you
and sell things on CraigsList too. We'd never have much luck.
A couple months in someone emailed us like we're doing now.
They showed us this site called: Redirecting in 5 seconds...
We were both shocked at the cheap prices the items would go for to the winning bidder.
We gave it a go and would buy iPhones for about 50 bucks
and would flip and sell on eBay or CraigsList for five times the cost we got it at.
Since then, my husband and I have been making around 1000 a week.
It's not alot, but it has been a godsend in taking care of our children.
We've been able to take more family vacations. When my husband saw your post, he figured
we should help you out like we were once helped out. :) So check it out and get an account,
maybe it'll help you out like it did for us:
http://biddingkit.com/?=80-Sign-up

WTF is all that about - I don't have time to waste on scam websites I wanted to sell my stuff not buy anything and the last thing I want to do is sell my stuff that cheap. Told the guy to twist off. What a loser.

I always the the email that says do you still have it?

Yes, It's yours.

OK, I'll send the asking price plus $50 for your trouble. It will be a cashier's check or whatever. Please send to Europe as I'm out of country this week. My husband really wants this camera. BlahBlahBlah

Most reactions

New Topics

Back