Craters on Moon

Just so I understand correctly, you were shooting at 500mm with a 2x teleconverter, on a crop body? Field of view equivalent to 1500mm on full frame? How on earth did you keep the moon in the view finder long enough to make that capture? What kind of tripod head did you use? Seems like aiming would be the hardest part, at that focal length.

BTW, looks great!

Yes, that was the set-up. Keeping it in view wasn't much of a problem, but as soon as I got everything adjusted just right, I had to wait a few seconds for everything to settle down and all vibrations to go away. I should have used mirror lock-up, because as soon as I pressed the remote, and the mirror moved, camera shake was once again introduced. Actually it was a cheap tripod with a ball head.

I believe this must be the case as the shot I took the other night is the only one I've seen craters in. This is at 200mm and heavily cropped just to get it only this big. The detail was better than I expected though.

I really like your shot too. Actually, as far as the overall picture, I like it better than mine. The composition is much better and you've got as much detail as I do.

Good job!

Here's mine, heavily cropped also. Taken with my Canon 55-250 kit lens.

Moon2-10-EDITACDSEE.jpg

Nice shot!

Thanks for the tip! Went out there tonight and tried my hand again.

DSC_0007_002.jpg

Atmospheric haze makes more of a difference then any other factor when it comes to the quality of moon pics, also prime lenses tend to resolve more detail.

Here's pic I took on a cold/clear night with a 600mm ais prime nikkor:

moon_by_djacob372.jpg

Here's a couple of mine. I don't take photo's of a full moon anymore, you get no craters due to direct light.

f/8-1/200-ISO200-300mm
4234783138_afb2df7e7d_b.jpg

Blue Moon 1/1/2010 f/8-1/800-ISO200-300mm
4233118508_5e7faabe0f_b.jpg

Atmospheric haze makes more of a difference then any other factor when it comes to the quality of moon pics, also prime lenses tend to resolve more detail.

Here's pic I took on a cold/clear night with a 600mm ais prime nikkor:

moon_by_djacob372.jpg

Nice shot mate, and you're probably right about the atmospheric conditions too but of course it helps having a lens like that I bet!

Most reactions

Back