What's new

Crazy night + ethics question

RxForB3

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 10, 2012
Messages
654
Reaction score
76
Location
Yakima, WA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tonight started out by a lucky walk out the door. I hadn't expected anything earlier in the day, but as I stepped out, my Tornado Valley Spider Sense started tingling. A thunderstorm was coming!! And in Central Washington!! Something I thought didn't even exist!

1.


Calm Before the Storm by RxForB3, on Flickr

I fooled around for a while, but then my amateur photographer said, "What are you doing???" So I grabbed my camera and set up under my porch. I got a few decent shots from the porch.

2.


First Strike by RxForB3, on Flickr

3.


It begins by RxForB3, on Flickr

The storm was moving North and I suddenly realized I knew of the perfect location overlooking Yakima. I jumped in the car and headed out. Unfortunately, I only brought one lens (my 18-55). I parked at the top of a hill, but had to stay in the car because of the rain and lack of waterproof gear. I attempted to take some photos from within the car, but no luck. As the storm headed north, it arrived over Selah. Luckily I had a great view of that town, so I simply turned around to the other side of the car. I got one good shot!

4.


Zap!!! by RxForB3, on Flickr

I noticed over to the northeast what looked to be a fire. As the storm died down, I headed in search of the fire. This is where the ethical question comes in. As an amateur photographer, is it ethical to go in search of such a disaster? I stayed away from the emergency vehicles. In fact, the vantage point I took the photo from was quite far away. If I had only brought my 50-500 or even the 55-250. However, I still feel a bit of guilt in getting enjoyment in photographing someone elses misfortune. In any case...here's the shot...

5.


Sad, but beautiful by RxForB3, on Flickr
 
Last edited:
Holy sh1t!

Regarding the ethics matter, there's no problem that I can see with your actions in this particular situation. But I understand how it must feel.

Shots 4 and 5 are stunning. I'd consider submitting them to the local media, if you haven't already. Maybe do a little PP, first.

BTW - We've got a lot of L&T right now, over here in Puyallup! O__O
 
This might, or might not, be dust on your sensor. I have no idea, but I thought you want to know.

$7533564464_a1341554de_o.webp
 
Now we're getting hail. Cool.
 
No. I don't think it's unethical at all.

What are you doing that infringes on the liberties of others? What are you doing to harm the lives of others? What protected information are you revealing about a specific person?

Simply using another person's misfortune for your own gain I don't think is unethical, unless it is done in such a way that further promotes their misfortune, I don't think you have done anything to help nor harm this family - so no, I don't think it's unethical.
 
Thanks for pointing that spot out. It might be dust or it might be a water droplet. I did get a little on the lens, but I'm not sure that's water. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on future pics...
 
Luckily we didn't get any hail. My car would have been very exposed. Having grown up in Tornado Alley, though, I've REALLY missed the thunderstorms. Now if only the streets had flooded in a few spots like it does in Oklahoma and Texas so I could go blasting through some puddles!
 
Huh. I replaced the first two photos in order to remove my license plate number. It seemed to be showing fine at first, but now the pics are gone. Can anyone else see the first two?

edit: think I fixed it...
 
Last edited:
Huh. I replaced the first two photos in order to remove my license plate number. It seemed to be showing fine at first, but now the pics are gone. Can anyone else see the first two?

edit: think I fixed it...

I see the two photos of your vehicle, but the license is blurred nicely in both.
 
Neat images, particularly 4 & 5. As far as the ethics question goes, I tend to agree with the others - you aren't infringing on anyone's rights, taking the images did not exacerbate the situation in any way and really, if you were a news photographer, you would be taking those pics as well - maybe you can sell a one-time use to a local TV station or to a newspaper. I do understand how you might feel, thinking you are taking advantage of someone else's misfortune, but you are not doing this - you are simply "recording" the news as it happens.
______________________________
WesternGuy
 
Good job getting out for the storms and going after the fire photos. No ethical issues at all with taking those. You did not start it, you did not hinder the emergency response, so all is good in the world.

I got some nice colorful sunset shots tonight looking out to the west with a hint of the Olympics in them. Mt Rainier was in cloudy light from the overcast sky, but I saw that there were thunder clouds building on the east side (probably the beginnings of your storm). I watched the lightning strike doppler on the computer and saw a good cell coming from the south between Mt Adams and Mt St Helens heading right for the south side of Rainier. I got a few shots that show the mountain in the dark with lightning around it that I'll put up later. I missed a lot of good bolts though that caught me between frames using my remote to hold the shutter open in bulb mode, that and I would miss some when I was deleting blank frames where nothing happened. I am now looking online for a lightning trigger. I'll put a couple of those images up in another thread so you can see what the west side of your storms looked like.
 
I thought about heading to the scenic overlook on highway 12 in the hopes of catching lightning on the mountain. Maybe I should have!
 
I think from that side the mountain might not have been visible from the clouds and rain. The storms just skirted the east side of the mountain, so the west side was clear, I had stars over my head as I shot the light show.


Edit: My shots are now up in their own thread. One of these days we need to meet up on Highway 12 or 410 for some gabbing and photo shooting.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/landscape-cityscape/290602-other-side-storm.html
 
Last edited:
The lightening shots are very cool but I wonder if you realize to what extent you put yourself in harms way? Lightning can extend 10 miles from it's source, just saying. I don't think i'd have the gonads to run to a hilltop nor is it probably a wise decision on your part. I'd hate to think some other want to be lightning photogs getting themselves in danger's path.

I've lost friends to lightning, it's something to take very seriously.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom