Creating Blur/static effect

Are you talking about something like this? or the one below?

p942381471-4.jpg

86pan.jpg

No, thanks, but none of those three are what I'm referring to. If you combined #2 into #1 then you would get what I'm talking about. I will see, but I believe what Rephargotohp suggested, is what is going to get the effect I'm looking for.

Thanks Rephargotohp. I will. Went out a little while ago and tried to do some train blur. The train 5 feet away blurred but, obviously, as it got farther away or a train on the other tracks didn't blur. Kinda hard to do extended exposure in the daytime....still playing with the new camera.
I looked at your link. I am not sure, but believe you are on the right TRACK...I kill me!...with the second curtain idea. I'm not looking so much for the light streak with the train project. I would imagine if that had cars in tow, that they would be blurred in that example. That definitely could work with the auto project I spoke of very early...IF I time the shot right for the desired effect.

Yeah, It will be really hard to do with day light.

This will get tricky because of exposures. The reason that you only see the light movement is because the exposure he used was enough to capture the brightness of the lights but NOT the motion of the train itself, The train itself did not have enough light on it.

This is not going to be easy at all what you want to do. The first thing you need to get down is capturing motion of trains/trolleys like some of the examples here
Night – Street – HDR

And then add the light to it.
Your exposure time and ambient light will also determine weather you get motion blur on the subject or ghosting. If the entire object passes, you will get ghosting, If you instead use a faster shutter speed ( but not too fast) you will get motion blur on the object.

It's balancing act

I think I can capture the train motion. I'm more concerned about the combination static/blur. I love the last example. I assume by looking at the truck headlights to the right side that it was done using front curtain method? The ghost effect is awesome. I'm really looking forward to getting back into the tricks that I used to do. The excitement of photography and what you can create is so incredible. And with the instant gratification of digital...I'll probably be more addicted than I used to be. I think I am going to do the airplane shot I saw earlier today with the marker light trails as it either arrives or departs. I used to crew for a hot air balloon and typically shot 3600 photos every weekend or rally. I had some really nice shots on film....wondering what I can do differently with the digital since i can immediately see my results. One thing I love on my old film camera and that I love on this Nikon D7000 is the ability to program it to take photos at a specified interval of time. It was great for hot air balloons. You would see it from layout to full fill to lift off. I am planning on doing some multiple exposures to break down my golf swing as well....so many things I can do and not enough time!

Most reactions

Back