Creating Dramatic Skies?

Goldeeno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
goldeeno.zoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive had a bit of a play but would like to get the sky a bit more dramatic on this photo, in B+W its a little better but i wanted a bit more contrast but im not sure on how to do it. Help Please :)

Original)

IMG_1910e.jpg

Edit 1)

IMG_1910ee.jpg

I would mask off the sky and adjust the levels, then convert to B&W.
I did a quick job of the mask but you get the idea.

bike-sky.jpg

I tried a gradient, and then a cool filter...then history brush to bring the rest back.

IMG_1910e.jpg

why not adjust the leves with the biker masked out, but leave it in color? like this...

545392048_a3c3eb5cf8_o.jpg

nice edits! Okay I think I am convinced that I need to take a course on photoshop!

Lol i agree, i can use ps, to stich photos, boarder and watermark photos and crop, other than that.... im lost. Anyone know of a tutorial on how to "mask"? I see its used alot i dont know how it works tho.
Oh cheers for the edits, there much better im gonna try them in B+W, see if they are any better...

You inspired me, it took a while but ive had a good go... better?
IMG_1910eee.jpg

a strong fill flash could do wonders here, I agree.

By "Fill Flash" you mean a well positioned flash on a tripod, with remote triggering?

IMG_1910edit.jpg

I did the masking quick and dirty; you could do a better job and eliminate the halos. Basically what I did:

1. duplicate layer
2. channel mixer BW 100% red channel on new layer
3. duplicate BW layer
4. adjust contrast/exposure of one BW layer for cyclist, the other for sky
5. use layer masking to combine BW layers; flatten BW layers
6. change blending mode of BW layer to luminosity; flatten
7. low percentage/high radius USM to tweak local contrast

EDIT: whoops, later I realized that I didn't duplicate the BW layer in step 3. I made a new BW layer from the color version using channel mixer 40r/50g/10b, and manipulated that layer for the cyclist. I tweaked the 100% red channel layer for the sky.

Most reactions

Back