Cremation urn

Don Kondra

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
donkondra.weebly.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had the pleasure of shooting a cremation urn made by my friend Leon Lacoursiere of Dalmas, SK.

The wood is figured cherry. Leon turned the cylinder, hand and power carved the details, threaded the lid and made a wax casting of the dove and it's base.

Full%20two_zpsx8ahmgpx.jpg

Dove%20two_zpsj9200bfq.jpg

Carving%20two_zpshdwpj3wg.jpg

Cheers, Don

That urn is simply to die for!

One or two things I notice about the photo:

The curve of the paper is visible in the background; there are noticeable shadows on both sides of the base; the lighting is being reflected off the lid. If these attributes could be cleared up, it would improve the photo, imo.

That woodworking is beautifully done and the wood itself is gorgeous.

that's a large casting.
did he actually cast it himself or have it done?

and the wood work is gorgeous.

That urn is simply to die for!

Bad pun :)

One or two things I notice about the photo:

The curve of the paper is visible in the background; there are noticeable shadows on both sides of the base; the lighting is being reflected off the lid. If these attributes could be cleared up, it would improve the photo, imo.

Depends on the eventual use of the photo. In this case, it is simply a portfolio shot and a slightly graduated background is normal.

I could have added a light/removed the grid on that side and/or photoshopped out the light fall off but the client was fine with the shot as is.

FYI, his previous photographer was into using a much darker gradient and Leon didn't care for that...

And the lighting/shadows was on purpose to accent the carving.

He is an excellent craftsman!

That woodworking is beautifully done and the wood itself is gorgeous.

Fantastic!

I'll pass on your comments to Leon :)

that's a large casting.
did he actually cast it himself or have it done? and the wood work is gorgeous.

Leon did the casting himself using a wax model and vacuum.

I believe he did it in four pieces. The base, the cross, the dove and the doves feet.

Cheers, Don

...Leon did the casting himself using a wax model and vacuum.

I believe he did it in four pieces. The base, the cross, the dove and the doves feet..
:eek: Wow! That moves it up into a whole new level of craftsmanship. Wood is one thing, but home casting bronze of that quality is friggin' amazing!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back