Critique for fur hat shoot

beatniktwist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm new here, so what. I'm not looking for praise, applause or validation, I like my work. I'm here to LEARN about photography. I am asking for critiques on my photos not on my responses, grammar or speech. Just because I'm new here doesn't mean I'm new at life, the internet, or anything else. Show respect and get respect.
Anyhow

I found this awesome Fur hat at the thrift shop and of course I had to take some pictures. #1 is a self portrait and #2 is my lil man. It's time for an outside view other then family and friends who'll say it's amazing no matter what craptastic photo you pull out of your A** and it's hard for me to catch the problems with the photos because they're mine and I love them. They can always be better this I know. I need to step my game up and take myself to the next level. Go ahead rip me to shreds. I kinda like it.

#1 $108.jpg#2$ccsmaller.jpg

In the first, the face seemingly is unimportant, because there are no details, except that the nostrils are really, really obvious - and that's not so enjoyable.
The second (and the first) is over-pumped, that may work once or twice but as a technique it gets old, because the technique is what is hitting the viewer in the face.

I'm not sure what over pumped means but I would like to so that I can not do that.

The dramatic over-saturation of colors that has the little boy's face rimmed with magenta.

Don't get me wrong, as an occasional device it works but here it seems out of place on a child and draws attention away from the hat, which seems to be the center of interest.

On the other hand, it is really great to see someone striking out and doing stuff that is so non-boring.
Count me as a fan.

Lew

The perspective distortion in #1 is terrible (look at the poor girls nostrils... Makes me think, Here Piggy Piggy).... the color in #2 is really off. Nothing more to say... (actually lots more... but I wont!)

Exif on #1

[PhotoME]
PhotoME version: 0.79R17 (Build 856)

[Overview]
URL: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...339d1368036432-critique-fur-hat-shoot-108.jpg
File type: JPEG
File size: 1,398.4 KB
Creation date: 3/12/2013 17:31
Last modification: 5/8/2013 15:35
Make: NIKON CORPORATION (http://www.nikon.com)
Camera: NIKON D5100
Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.0 (Windows)
Dimension: 4928 x 3264 px (16.1 MP, 3:2)
Focal length: 18 mm (equiv. 27 mm)
Aperture: F3.5
Exposure time: 1/160" (-0.33 EV)
ISO speed rating: 100/21°
Program: Shutter priority
Metering Mode: Center-weighted average
White Balance: Auto
Flash: Flash did not fire

Last edited:
#1 exposure is pretty good, but your hair blending with the cap and covering one eye is distracting.

#2 needs more light on the cap and some separation from the background to better define the cap.

I'd actually prefer you do say lots more. I'm not gonna cry or anything. I've only been doing photography for a 4 months. I know I need help lots of help. break it down for me

I'd actually prefer you do say lots more. I'm not gonna cry or anything. I've only been doing photography for a 4 months. I know I need help lots of help. break it down for me

The perspective distortion cgipson1 mentioned in shot #1 makes the lips and nose and nostrils appear unnaturally large. This distortion occurs very often when the camera is very close to the subject when the picture is made...it makes the chin, nose, and lips appear to jut out and to be, physically LARGER, and more-prominent, than they are in real life. If the camera is held in one's own hand and a selfie is shot...this happens much of the time. The out-of-focus nature of the shot might be due to the camera being too close; every lens has a minimum focus distance...it looks like in #1 you might have gone below the MFD, hence the slight out of focus nature of #1.

Your lil man has blue-tinged eye whites and a magenta face, and the image is dark and moody.

O.K., since you own the cap, you can re-shoot.

#1 is a good exposure, and good light, just clear your other eye, and raise the camera a bit to tone down your nose.

#2 is a fairly good pose not as good as the first, but he's just a kid, right? In this one, use more light, and don't forget the back light to separate the cap from the background more. Also, don't be so heavy-handed on the color adjustment. Leave it as natural as you can.

You're doing quite well for only 4 months in, so keep up the good work!

Most reactions

Back