Critique my first photo please

qUAntUm k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I am new here, and new to photography too! Please offer me very honest criticism of this photograph of muey. Thank you.

How do you make the photo open up in the forum thread? Thanx again.

Like this :mrgreen:

QuantumK's photo ... QuantumK's photo ... QuantumK's photo .... QuantumK's photo ... QuantumK's photo ...

387761586_812fbc2e95.jpg

Welcome to ThePhotoForum, QuantumK (can't be bothered with checking which letter is to be capitalized and which one not), I clicked on the link you provided, then right-clicked the photo of your cat, went to the properties, copied the URL save the ?v=0 (this is important, NEVER copy that bit after the .jpg-extension!), and put it up here by using our little image icon (the yellow-sky-grey-mountain-and-sun thingy above your reply box). Voilà! :D

And do you want some really serious critique?
Right from the start?
You're sure?

thank you laphoto! A very impressive opening!!! And, i see the error in my way.

Yes, please critique from the start. I'm emotionally attached to my cat, but not the photo. I know the only way I will improve is through honest feedback. I have chosen this photo from among many. It is, in my own opinion, of the better ones in the whole lot; and they are almost all black and white. So, please, dont hold back:mrgreen:

OK, so my very first point is:

From now on into all the future try to avoid using the on-camera flash. Use it in emergencies only, or when you need it as fill light (in some otherwise bright surroundings), to fill some shadows with light. Using it in rooms will always give you a sharp shadow (see behind your pretty cat on the wall), and the distribution of light with an on-camera flash will not be very good. Often the foreground gets too much light and it fades way too fast towards the background (or gives these strong shadows).

That is the first point.

As to composition: when you want to photograph a pet (or a little child, for that matter, it applies to both), get onto their level. Don't shoot from above. We usually see our pets down there on the floor, i.e. from above, so a photo of them should possibly change that perspective, open our eyes for something new, something that is more "theirs", like their OWN perspective. Hence: flop yourself onto your belly and take the photo from there ;).

Try to avoid elements that don't help your photo any --- I am thinking of the tiny bit of door frame on the far left, but most of all of the flower bench on the right. If ever possible, move round so far that such things get excluded from your frame. If it can't be avoided because the moment would otherwise just go --- try what you can do "with the scissors" (cropping in post processing) afterwards.

The pet portrait is about the pet - well, that is the idea, isn't it? - so there should be not too many distractions, unless they help tell a story.

Too harsh? Hope not.

Laphoto!!! Thank you for a detailed reply to my first photo critique requested experience.

Your criticism is not harsh at all. And I will positively integrate your advice into my future photography projects!

This forum is awesome. Learn me, please. Im so excited to be a part of this community!

:hugs:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back