Critique Pleaseyosaurus?

SweetLeaf1189

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
After a couple of years of almost no shooting, I picked up a camera again when my boyfriend and I went on a geology field trip to Enchanted Rock near Austin, TX. I tried to take a couple of pictures but could hardly remember how to even work my camera :meh:. Took out the manual, and alas, I only have the Spanish one *facepalm*. Did what I could. Disclaimer: I kinda suck at post-processing, so any advice you have on that is GREATLY appreciated :) Once upon a time I could get a decent b&w by playing with the channel mixer, but the results were disastrous this time so I just desaturated :thumbdown:.

Anywho...

1. Some neat weathering patterns on Enchanted Rock
5190005840_2dac7b9899.jpg

2. Like I said...bad post-processing.
5190005680_e97c74248d.jpg

5190005630_c75cfdf610.jpg

4. Pictures from some of the roadcuts we got samples from
5190006164_60763c8aa0.jpg

5. Strata
5189407775_9c80a90e45.jpg

6. Some amazingly green sandstone
5190006484_1d2a608e7c.jpg

7. More of the green sandstone with limestone intrusions
5190007248_881d15e1fc.jpg

I have no c and c but I love the green sandstone. Looks awesome.
blue

Thank you. It's the greenest sandstone I've ever seen by far. Got that way because of the high iron content, which is strange.

I would like to see the unedited version of these pictures.

#1: The right 1/3 of the picture looks exposed differently than the left side. Could be a post processing problem like you said. Perhaps a tighter shots of the rocks would have worked better?

#2: Not really sure what im looking at in this pic. But then again I am not geologist :lol:

#3: Same as #2

#4: I really like this shot but my focus is pulled directly to the tree and not the rock formations.

#5, 6 & 7:Are very cool shots I really liked them.

I would like to see the unedited version of these pictures.

#1: The right 1/3 of the picture looks exposed differently than the left side. Could be a post processing problem like you said. Perhaps a tighter shots of the rocks would have worked better?

#2: Not really sure what im looking at in this pic. But then again I am not geologist :lol:

#3: Same as #2

#4: I really like this shot but my focus is pulled directly to the tree and not the rock formations.

#5, 6 & 7:Are very cool shots I really liked them.

Thanks for your response :)
#1 - that is actually a graduated filter that I forgot to rotate :p
#2 - you are looking at Enchanted Rock - a 400ft high almost-batholith of granite (huge "hill" of granite)
#3 - from on top of Enchanted Rock, looking down at a large boulder, with a view of the landscape beyond Enchanted Rock
#4 - that was my intention :) I really liked the way the tree looked up there.
The rest - thanks!
I suppose it's not a good thing if my photos need so much explanation.

My old roommate was a geology major. I thought he was the only person who talked about strata. Guess I was wrong.

I personally really like 4. My eyes are immediately drawn to the tree, but then I notice how sharp the rock is... it just works for me.

Thank you, Greasy! That is one of my favorites, as well.
And yes...us geology majors are pretty nerdy :p

#1 is nice but is spoilt by that graduated filter slip :(. Not sure the Black and whites work. Think they'd be better in colour. I think for the rest you have to be a geology major to appreciate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back