Critique

This is a discussion forum section Cody, not a critique section.

Posting in one of the Gallery sections will get you more feedback as will posting the photo rather than just a link.

This is a discussion forum section Cody, not a critique section.

Posting in one of the Gallery sections will get you more feedback as will posting the photo rather than just a link.

Yes, will change location. Am new to forum so did not know. Cody.

Time of day is the main thing I'd change .. the sky is boring, shooting close to sunset or sunrise would help a lot, or wait for a more interesting day, weather wise.

But for this actual image, a curves adjustment in an S shape would add contrast and saturation, which might help.

I'll critique it here. I don't mind.

I think it's a decent image with a nice interplay of dynamic lines created by the masts and ropes streaming from them. I like the tension created by the boat leaning off the right side of the composition, it is a brave composition and it works somehow.

Here are the areas I personally and subjectively feel need improvement. I think the colors are too drab. I'm sure the actual scene gave a better impression color wise than this photo does. I feel like this image is practically straight out of the camera and to me is like wet clay--it needs to be shaped further, defined, and hardened into a your vision.

I was bored with free time, and for fun, I processed your image to my personal liking. I took it into Camera Raw and adjusted the black point, contrast, vibrance setting and added a graduated filter. In Photoshop RGB mode I further added vibrance to areas in specific amounts. I converted the image to the L*a*b* color mode and adjusted the luminance in select areas and saturated the color channels to specific areas with masks.

It's not perfect but I feel it makes the image come to life more and brings out the forms better.

edit: I added an amber cast to simulate the warmer color temperature of sunset.

boat-1.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back