crop lenses vs. 35mm lens...

jackieclayton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
mominmarianas.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i'm so confused, can someone help me? If you have a lens that says 18-55mm DX, does that mean that on a DX camera it actually is 18-55mm or do you still have to factor in the magnification. Like is an 18-55mm DX lens on a DX camera really 28-82mm? If so...Why have DX lenses? I"m so confused...

An 18mm FX lens is still a 18mm on DX, but it will just look different. DX is just cropping in from FX. So

ok, thanks jimmy. thats what I figured but I wanted to make sure. Just playing around the other day and when I put my 18-55 lens on my FX camera, I told my camera to detect a DX lens therefore would act like a DX camera. When I took the shot at 18mm it came in cropped... not as wide as it was using the same lens with my DX camera.

DX lens are smaller than FX lens so you end up with a cropped image with a FX Camera and DX Lens. Because its only using the centre part of the sensor.

FX lens are larger so when on a DX camera they have something called crop factor (x1.5), your 70-200 FX becomes a 105 - 300. For canon its x1.6.

Most reactions

Back