cropped or full frame for evening shooting

trailguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm doing some outdoor photography for a kid's Christmas event tomorrow from 5pm to 9pm. Sun down of course, so there will be some lighting, but I'm not sure what or how much.
Would I be 'safer' to use my Canon 40D/ very good 17-55 f2.8, or the Nikon 750/ 16-35 f4 (also very good lens, but f4, for that evening shot?
I do have speedlights for each camera.
Thanks

I'd run with the D750. It's going to handle low light and noise much better than the 1 extra stop on the crop body IMO.

D750...much better higher-ISO performance than the 40D...I am familiar with the 40D from a commercial small-product shoot that I assisted and lighted for a friend back when the 40D was the "hot, new thing"; he was very disappointed and shocked at how it did when elevating the ISO even from 100 to 160 ISO using studio flash...I was surprised too. In terms of camera years, the 40D is quite old compared to something with a much newer, much larger sensor in terms of square millimeters of imager area. I think the D750's sensor is around 2.7x larger in area than what the Canon 1.6x cameras have. I agree--the better ISO performance of the D750 makes this a pretty easy call.

lol.

one of the best cameras on the market, or a $100 one from 2007

lol.

one of the best cameras on the market, or a $100 one from 2007
I'll presume you would take the one with the name that rhymes with "D750"

Just keep in mind that 16-35 on the d750 means if you want close up shots you better get yourself close.

F/2.8 vs F/4 is only 1 stop, the D750 can do a lot more high ISO stops above ANY (even new) crop
sensor camera.

40D's noise at ISO400 is probably comparable to D750's at ISO6400.

No contest, however, I'd probably want something tighter then 35mm on the FF for
any event too. If I had to have 1 lens only on FF, it would be the 24-70.

F/2.8 vs F/4 is only 1 stop, the D750 can do a lot more high ISO stops above ANY (even new) crop
sensor camera.

Not only that, you could under-expose the images 1 stop purposefully and recover them all in post better than the 40D files would look properly exposed at the same ISO.

sensor camera.

Not only that, you could under-expose the images 1 stop purposefully and recover them all in post better than the 40D files would look properly exposed at the same ISO.

Right.

looking at DxoMark the SNR at 400ISo on the 40D is closer to 3200 on the D750, but good guess ;P

I've had the 750 several months, still getting familiar with it. Being asked to do an outdoor shoot tonight, my concern was the F4 lens vs the F2.8 on the Canon.
I played with the 750 and speedlight last night and it became obvious the Canon 2.8 couldn't match the 750.

Thanks for the advice.

I just shot a night time Christmas event last weekend with my D750. I rented a 70-200 2.8 for the stage show. Here's a shot at ISO 10,000. 10,000!!! I did some noise reduction in post but that's a pretty clean image.
Stage Show ISO 10k.jpg

Most reactions

Back