Cropping and Ordering Issue

Of course I do. And they love all of the pictures I have to say. Its not that they are disappointed in the quality of the photographs. Some of the photos that they have issue with literally crops out a little bit of the sky or some grass. They want the entire picture that was SOOC in the print, which is impossible for me to do. Short of not taking any tightly framed pictures, Im not sure what else I could have done? Which obviously Im going to have to keep in mind.

Is that what you would do? Just be sure to not take tightly framed photos?

Why are you showing them images SOOC?
You should be showing them proofs of your best images, cropped, and presentable for them to choose from. There should be no going back to SOOC comparisons.

Im sorry...I didnt explain myself correctly. It was a fully edited image. I just didnt do any cropping to it because it was a tightly framed shot to begin with. So there was no cropping necessary when it came SOOC.

Im an idiot. Ill just post the picture.

23ixqbb.jpg

Its a little of the arms of the girl on the left and some from the legs of the girl on the right. Ill show it to you when Im back at home and not at work. :)

This would be one version of the crop. And I absolutely understand why the client would be annoyed by it. I shouldnt have framed so tightly.

2k3ssw.jpg

Sell them the digital rights to the images for some ridiculous amount and then tell them to crop them how they see fit. Then when they come back to you asking for technical advice about the ratio to use to resize before they print you can tell them to blow it out their sphincter.

Haha! They are angry that I presented them with pictures that arent usable in a standard size. I suppose my problem was showing images that were too tightly cropped for an 8x10? I dont know. I offered discounts and everything so Im not sure what to do next.

Why are they mad? It's a simple matter of physics & math. 2:3 (4x6, 8x12) is not the same shape/ratio as 5x7 or 8x10 etc.

Zactly!!! If they want the prints to fit a 5x7 or 8x10 frame (or whatever) they have to be stretched or cropped... Thats all there is to it.

They are frustrated that the picture that I showed them cannot be completely in the whole picture. Like the grass and all that from the right of the picture. I mean at this point there is really nothing that I can do about that fact. Im just not sure what to do about this in the future. Do I warn them when the photos go into the album that certain size crops will lose some of the photo? Do I shoot loosely so that the photo CAN be cropped to an 8x10? I hate to lose some of my "artistic vision" or whatever you want to call it. Because then if they order it in a small size anyways...I could have kept that tight crop that I wanted to begin with.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Most reactions

Back