Cropping and Ordering Issue

Ok so ask specifically if they are going to want 8x10's from each shot? Im sorry Bitter Jeweler, but you just seem to be making fun of me and thats fine, but Im asking for advice. I asked what they wanted up front, was told where they wanted the pictures, the combination of the people in them, etc. Do I make every photo a wider shot so that they can get the 8x10 if thats what they are looking for? I feel bad enough about this situation already without you just rolling your eyes at me. So I appreciate the fact that you clearly think Im an idiot, but if you arent going to offer help, then Im not sure why you are even commenting on this thread.

Bus, I did explain about the matting of the 8x12

There are going to be times when the communication between the photogrpaher and the customer will not always work. It is a fact of life and cannot be avoided.
Anyone here or elsewhere may state differently, but it is a fact.

"Painting a picture" in another person's mind of what you see and what they see is difficult at best.

Maybe a way to solve this in the future is to show the customer what the cropped sizes for printing will look like with images you have already taken, so they understand that the images will be changed somewhat from the camera format.

**There are always going to be unhappy customers at some point.
Some are masters at trying to get free stuff by acting upset. Screw them, it will not keep you out of heaven. ;)

--One other item. The more you try to defend yourself, the more it will seem you are wrong. Keep your answers with them short and simple...

Thanks, Pierre. I was thinking about somehow showing them the crops, but at the same time clearly dont want to add hours to my workflow either. Ive never really had this issue before, honestly.

Bus, I did explain about the matting of the 8x12

:) cool... I was just suggesting it in case you hadn't thought of it...

But I think generic questions like...

How do you plan to use these pictures?
Will you be framing them and hanging them?
What sizes do you prefer?

Keep in mind that different picture sizes require different aspect ratios or framing options.

One idea would be to take multiple shots of the same scene (one tight/close up... One with a bit more space, and a third that gives more cropping options...)

Remember that for a 4x6, 6x9, or 8x12 you need to use a 3:2 aspect ratio.... 5x7 are different and 8x10 is different yet again...

Yeah it was definitely the first thing I thought of because I definitely use matting in my photos that I hang in my own house.

In the future I will definitely be sure to take a few with a looser frame. Thanks so much, Bus!

Ok so ask specifically if they are going to want 8x10's from each shot? Im sorry Bitter Jeweler, but you just seem to be making fun of me and thats fine, but Im asking for advice. I asked what they wanted up front, was told where they wanted the pictures, the combination of the people in them, etc. Do I make every photo a wider shot so that they can get the 8x10 if thats what they are looking for? I feel bad enough about this situation already without you just rolling your eyes at me. So I appreciate the fact that you clearly think Im an idiot, but if you arent going to offer help, then Im not sure why you are even commenting on this thread.

You ask what size pictures they are anticipating.
Being told "they want pictures" isn't good enough.
It would be like me dealing with a customer for a custom ring, and not sizing their finger.

I am not making fun of you. But I already answered that question.

You need to qualify the customer, discover their expectations, and then meet them.

Most people have an idea of what they are going to do with pictures from a shoot they are paying for.

I don't think you are an idiot, but I don't feel you have sound business sense. Sorry.

Do you write up contracts with your customers?

I do have a contract that I have clients sign. And no, you are probably right. I do not have sound business sense. Yet. Im starting out and learning right now and how to best do everything. Its not a full time business and Im just starting out slowly. I didnt mean to be bitchy, Im sorry. I was being defensive.

Feel free to be defensive.
No need to apologize.
Cuz I'm a jerk.
:sexywink:

Generally Im ok with jerkiness...Im full of it too. :) And god knows Im the first person to make fun of someone for a really stupid question.
Just a really bad day and I was being oversensitive.

The way I see it, you will always have this problem. Some people don't understand the difference between aspect ratios of cameras and print sizes. Best solution is to frame your shots with a little room so you can crop for either 8x10 or you can crop it in tighter and keep the 2:3 ratio. Keep the original until they tell you what they want. Then you can crop either way. They should never see the SOOC.

Yes they dont ever see the SOOC. I was referring to the fact that there was no cropping from the original picture and really said it in a stupid way. :)

Yes they dont ever see the SOOC. I was referring to the fact that there was no cropping from the original picture and really said it in a stupid way. :)

If I follow you right.. the image you show them is the exact photo out of camera (plus with post processing but no cropping). That's what I'm talking about. You'd be served better to frame with a little extra room so that you can crop it down tighter (in 2:3 ratio) keeping it the same as what you presented them (in case they want it), "or" you can crop it down to 8x10 keeping more of the original image in it.

The SOOP image would have more working room, but they wouldn't know that.

You just have to explain to them when they say they want 8x10, that it is a different ratio. (maybe make a couple sample prints "of any particular photo you have to use as an example to show clients") showing them what an image at 2:3 looks like out of camera and how much image is lost when cropping to 8x10. So they have a visual. They can see the different shapes.

In this particular image, there was no cropping done during the editing process. Not always the case, but this time it was. I will be sure to allow for more room next time.

Thanks for your help, guys. Much appreciated.

Most reactions

Back